Post Edit: The best beat to cover is also the longest

I have been on the hockey beat for The Post for little over a month now. It’s quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Hockey is my longest commitment to a sports beat so far. The season lasts from September to March, so it classifies as both my fall and winter beat. When I was assigned to it, I was excited beyond belief and couldn’t wait to take a crack at it. 

Nerves, however, eventually set in. I was concerned on how to tackle such a long-term project, and, until my fellow beat writer Andrew Allison joined me, I was manning the ship myself and wasn’t sure where to start. That changed after Andrew and I went to the Green and White scrimmage for the first time.

I have never been so warmly welcomed by any fanbase of the few sports I’ve covered in my brief time with The Post than I have with hockey. I’d argue Bobcat hockey fans are the liveliest and most passionate of all. One of them even dresses up like a t-rex for games. Some tell stories about the previous Post hockey writers and how well they did, and how they are excited to see what I can produce this year.

Aside from the fans, the true fun comes from talking with the team. Every player I have met has been friendly and will go on forever about hockey if you let them. They’re passionate about their favorite sport and they love to share that love however they can. Coach Cole Bell is also an affable coach and willing to help us with any story we may be doing for the week.

From these players I can fish out some of the wildest stories, even from the newcomers. Tyler Kallay has had dimes thrown at him. Nick Erker tore his hamstring last season and has been itching to get back. Many of them come from the same cities and have been playing junior hockey together years before they came to Ohio. 

The culture at Bird Arena is special. The fans are rowdy, and the players want to show off and share their experiences. It’s cold in the arena, but I’d say our reception has been warm to say the least.

Jack Gleckler is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Jack by tweeting him @theJackGleckler.