Merriam-Webster added 533 new words to the dictionary; today is National Pawpaw Day

Today is Thursday, Sept. 19th, 2019 Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Students knew “tallboy” was a word many years ago, but as of Tuesday, Merriam-Webster honors it as a true word. On Tuesday, the well-known dictionary publishing company added over 500 words and over 4,000 revisions. Some notable additions include funny ones, like “dad-joke,” shortened words, like “vacay” and “inspo,” and political terms like “red flag law.” 

One of the most significant revisions include the update to the word “they,” edited to acknowledge it is “used to refer to a single person whose gender identity is nonbinary.” As far as business goes, the word “haircut” added a new meaning of “reduction in the value of an asset.”

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Celebrate National Pawpaw Day with these recipes using the native Ohio fruit (The Post)

Athens hosted its annual Dog Swim on Wednesday, here’s what happened at the event (The Post)

Here’s everything you need to know about the new hotel on East State Street (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio’s tight ends have been an underlooked aspect of the offense. (The Post)

Jerome Buckner is ready to become Ohio’s next top wide receiver. (The Post)

Ohio volleyball’s Meredith Howe brings more to the team than just her humor. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s a beautiful day of clear skies and no rain. The high will be 81 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

KFC and Pizza Hut released some new menu items this week. (USA Today)

An American woman became the first person to swim the English Channel four times non-stop. (NPR)

iOS 13 will be available today for iPhone users with a 6S model or later. (CNN)

@SydneyEWalters

sw844317@ohio.edu