Ohio's Karynne Baker tries to keep the ball away from Drexel's Puk Thewessen during the Drexel and Ohio matchup on Aug. 30, 2019. (FILE)

Field Hockey: Ohio looks to continue hot start to the season against Lock Haven

The Ohio Bobcats will return home to Pruitt Field to take on the Lock Haven Bald Eagles on Friday afternoon.

Here’s the information for this weekend’s match:

Opponent: Lock Haven Bald Eagles

Match Location: Pruitt Field in Athens, Ohio

Match Date: Sept. 13. at 3 p.m.

Opponent’s Current Record: 2-2

Whats happened so far:

The Bobcats are coming off a road win against Davidson after splitting their first two matches of the season, leaving them with their first 2-1 start since the 2012 season.

Match information:

Ohio played the best game of its season last week and defeated Davidson 3-0 for the Bobcats’ first shutout of 2019. The Bobcats dominated after they maintained ball possession for the majority of the game, giving their opponent very few opportunities to take any shots.

Lock Haven is ending a three-game road stretch when it faces Ohio, and it’s coming off of a 3-2 double overtime loss to Cornell. The Bobcats and Bald Eagles have only played against each other once; Lock Haven defeated Ohio 2-1 in 2015. The Bald Eagles hosted that match.

One of Ohio’s leaders this season is redshirt senior Kendall Ballard, who was named Ohio Scholar Athlete of the Week after having one goal and one assist in last week’s victory. Ballard is currently tied with junior Leah Warren for the most goals on the team (two) and also leads the team in assists (three) and points (seven).

The match will be Ohio’s last home match until Oct. 5 against Longwood. The next three matches will all be on the road for the Bobcats. A 3-1 start to the season would encouraging for Ohio before it embarks on its road stretch, which includes its first conference opponent, Appalachian State.

@elifeaz

ef195418@ohio.edu