Ohio University wide receiver, Jerome Buckner (#8), runs the ball against University of Louisiana linebacker, Ferrod Gardner (#7) during the bobcat's home game on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019.

Football: Ohio drops final nonconference game to Louisiana-Lafayette

Ohio felt optimistic ahead of its game against Louisiana. There were plenty of questions about the defense after it let in over 500 yards a week ago, but the fixes were supposed to be easy.

The offense hummed and Nathan Rourke put together a bounce-back performance for the ages - even though it fell short, and that was supposed to continue into Saturday’s home game against the Ragin Cajuns.

But that optimism didn’t convert into results, and in what were supposed to be easy fixes and continuations were seen too late in the Bobcats’ 45-25 failed comeback loss to Louisiana

The Bobcats (1-3) showed flashes of the offensive success it had a week ago. Rourke took off for a 24-yard run. He completed passes for 20-plus yards to Isiah Cox and Shane Hooks throughout the second half.

But flashes aren’t enough to win games. Ohio couldn’t sustain drives unlike a week ago. It had five three-and-outs, three of which came in the first half. It only had five drives that were five plays or longer - one of which ended in a rare Rourke interception. 

The fourth-quarter comeback attempt was admirable. Ohio scored its two of its three touchdowns on back-to-back drives, including a two-play, 80-yard drive where the Rourke to Hooks connection flourished.

Ohio’s defense knew what was coming it's way. The Cajuns (3-1) heading into Saturday averaged 336.7 yards per game and they totaled almost over 500. For the most part, the Bobcats defense played solid. They held an offense that scored 77 points a week ago to 10 in the first half. It was the second half where the defense we’ve seen the last two weeks surfaced.

Five touchdowns and 310 total yards in the second half alone separated Louisiana down the stretch. Another week filled with missed tackles and allowing extra yards on carries left the Bobcats from hanging tight to watching the game slip out of their control.

Ohio is now in a predicament. It hasn’t lost three straight since 2015 and it hasn’t started the season off at 1-3 since 2010. Granted, the nonconference schedule was tough as it played three bowl teams, one of which a power 5 school. But the Bobcats now will be searching for even more answers as they head into their bye week.

Following the bye, Ohio will travel to Buffalo for its first Mid-American Conference game of the season on Oct. 5. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu