Photo from Louisiana-Lafayette Athletic Department

Football: Meet Ohio's last nonconference opponent, the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns

After two weeks on the road and two close losses, Ohio returns to Peden Stadium for its final nonconference game of the season where it’ll host Louisiana-Lafayette.

The Bobcats (1-2) are coming off perhaps their best offensive performance thus far in a 33-31 loss at Marshall.

While they did beat FCS Rhode Island 41-20 in Week 1, the emphasis on FCS compared to FBS can’t be overstated – especially after Ohio’s tough outing at Pitt.

Last season, Ohio was a perfect 6-0 at home. It has the chance to go 2-0 this weekend.

Here’s a closer look at the Ragin’ Cajuns.

All-time series: Ohio 2-0. The programs met for the first time in 2007 in Lafayette, and the Bobcats won in a 31-23 final. They met again in 2010 in Peden where Ohio won 38-31.

The Louisiana report: The Cajuns (2-1) are led by second-year coach Billy Napier (9-8). In his first year at the helm, Napier led Louisiana to a 7-7 record that featured appearances in the Sun Belt Conference Championship game – a 30-19 loss to Appalachian State – and the Autonation Cure Bowl, a 41-24 loss to Tulane.

Louisiana has impressed in the early stages of the season. It hung tight against Mississippi State in a 10-point loss and has outscored its last two opponents 112-20.

A large part in their offensive success has been from quarterback Levi Lewis and multiple running backs. In the 77-6 blowout of Texas Southern last weekend, Lewis went 10-for-13 for 181 yards and two touchdowns. The Cajuns totaled 748 yards.

A season ago, Louisiana averaged 31.93 points per game and 447 yards.

Defensively, the Cajuns call multiple fronts out of a base 3-4. Offensive coordinator Tim Albin mentioned how Louisiana’s defense will mix-and-match its coverages, and he specified redshirt senior cornerback Michael Jacquet III. At 6 feet, 2 inches, Jacquet is one of the bigger defensive backs in all of college football and has the potential to limit Ohio’s success down the field in its vertical passing game.

How Ohio wins: It might seem simple, and it is. Last week against Marshall, the Bobcats defense had too many missed tackles that allowed the Thundering Herd to gain extra yards. If the Bobcats do the little things defensively, they should feel more comfortable in their potential to close out the nonconference schedule on a high note. The offense rolled last week against a solid Marshall defensive unit and will only pick up momentum as wide receivers Cam Odom and Tyler Tupa are back in the lineup.

It also wouldn’t hurt Ohio if the defense could generate more turnovers. Since its interception against Rhode Island in Week 1, the defense hasn’t produced any turnovers.

Stat to know: 9. Ohio hasn’t started a season off 1-3 since 2010, nine seasons ago, where it won its home opener against Wofford and then lost to Toledo, Ohio State and Marshall. 

Player to watch: Trey Ragas, redshirt junior running back, No. 9

Ragas has taken the lead in Louisiana’s running back room. After two solid weeks, Ragas started against Texas Southern and didn’t disappoint. The 5 foot, 10 inch and 218-pound back had 11 carries for 105 yards. He currently leads the team with 296 rushing yards and also has three rushing touchdowns.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu