Photo provided by @CSNews2019 via Twitter

Football: What to know about Ohio's Week 3 opponent, the Marshall Thundering Herd

Ohio will make the short 88-mile trip to Huntington, West Virginia, for the 60th meeting against Marshall.

A rivalry that dates all the way back to 1905, the two have been also been playing off-and-on for a traveling trophy since 1997, the rivalry has taken on the moniker the “Battle for the Bell.”

This will be the fourth trip to Huntington that coach Frank Solich and Co. will have made in his tenure – the Bobcats are 1-2 at Marshall under Solich.

Here is everything you need to know about the Thundering Herd.

All-time series: Ohio 33-20-6. The first meeting between the two teams was in 1905. Marshall defeated the Bobcats 6-5. The last meeting between the two teams was in 2015. Ohio defeated Marshall 21-10.

The Marshall report: The Herd (1-1) are led by head coach John “Doc” Holliday. Holliday enters year 10 at Marshall and has compiled a 71-46 record after nine full seasons in Huntington.

Marshall is coming off a 9-4 season that featured a 38-20 win in the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl against South Florida.

Offensively, the Herd are led by Isaiah Green, a redshirt sophomore quarterback. In his first season at Marshall, he threw for over 2,400 yards and 15 touchdowns. Through the first two games of the 2019 season, Green has thrown for almost 300 yards and four touchdowns.

At running back, the Herd are much like Ohio (1-1) in that it’s a by-committee approach. Marshall has used three different running backs this season. It has now become a two-man crew between Brendon Knox and Willie Johnson, however, as Tyler king was dismissed from the team on Sept. 9.

Marshall defensively plays a fast and physical 4-3 defense, that’s led by redshirt junior linebacker Tavante Beckett.

Throughout the week Solich has made remarks about how fast Marshall’s defensive line is and that it should give the Ohio offensive line a good test.

How Ohio beats Marshall: Ohio beats Marshall simply by getting back to the fundamentals of the Solich and offensive coordinator Tim Albin offense. Last week at Pitt, the Bobcats were held to 10 points on 212 yards. Quarterback Nathan Rourke, while he was sick, said in the postgame press conference that the illness wasn’t an issue and the offense just didn’t execute.

Ohio will be without running back Julian Ross because of an injury, but O’Shaan Allison and De’Montre Tuggle will be ready to split the reps.

Secondly, if the Bobcats can find ways to get redshirt junior wide receiver Cam Odom more involved, Marshall could be in for a long evening. Odom only has two catches thus far.

Stat to know: Zero. There are zero players on either team that have played in a rendition of the Battle for the Bell.

Player to watch: Xaiver Gaines, redshirt junior tight end, No. 11.

Gaines is a unique talent in that he is used in both the pass game and the run game – but as a ball carrier. In two games this season, the 6-foot-3-inch 221-pound tight end has a total of 24 rushing yards on three carries. He also has five receptions for 40 yards and one touchdown.

Because of his dual-threat ability, Gaines has the potential to freeze up the Bobcats’ defense if he ever goes in motion from a split-out position.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu