Ohio University offensive linemen protect quarterback, Nathan Rourke against Western Michigan University. (FILE)

Football: Nathan Rourke breaks Ohio's all-time touchdown record

Nathan Rourke is officially Ohio’s touchdown king.

The quarterback broke the program’s touchdown record with a seven-yard pass to Ryan Luehrman in the third quarter against Marshall at Joan C. Edwards Stadium for his 83rd career touchdown. Rourke’s third touchdown pass of the game eclipsed the record set by former quarterback Tyler Tettleton in 2013.

Rourke’s dual-threat abilities have helped the Bobcats build one of the most efficient offenses in the Mid-American Conference over the last few seasons. The senior has scored seven touchdowns this season and will likely push his record further with at least 10 games left in his college career.

“He’s been more for what you would hope,“ coach Frank Solich said. “It’s been not only his running and throwing ability, but his leadership ability. He’s a smart, smart player. He’s studying the game all the time. You couldn't ask for anything more in a quarterback.”

Rourke’s first touchdown came as a sophomore in 2017, when he entered as a substitution for Quinton Maxwell in the second quarter against Hampton. He scored three rushing touchdowns and made a thunderous entrance into college football.

Rourke hasn’t stopped since. He’s currently second in program history in passing touchdowns (45) and third in rushing touchdowns (36). No other FBS quarterback has rushed for more touchdowns in the past two seasons.

Now, Rourke is entrenched into Ohio history. With plenty of games left and a potential run at the MAC Championship in December, he may not be done yet.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu