Ohio University quarterback, Nathan Rourke (#12), runs the ball with pressure from University of Louisiana defensive end, Bennie Higgins (#15) during the bobcat's home game on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019.

Football: Stock watch following Ohio's loss to Louisiana-Lafayette

Ohio’s bye week couldn’t have arrived at a better time after its loss to Louisiana-Lafayette dropped its record to 1-3.

The Bobcats face plenty of questions on defense after they allowed over 480 total yards for their third consecutive game. Their offense needs work, too, after quarterback Nathan Rourke threw a career-high three interceptions against the Ragin’ Cajuns.

Here are some of the notable performances from the loss:

Stock up

Louie Zervos

Special teams has been the most consistent group for the Bobcats so far. Zervos converted field goal attempts from 48 and 49-yards—a season-high—in the first half and won Mid-American Conference East Division Special Teams Player of the Week.

The Bobcats would have preferred to score six points on those drives instead, but Zervos still appears to be a safe bet on attempts from 50 yards or fewer. He could be a huge asset for Ohio in MAC play.

Shane Hooks

It’s not hyperbole to suggest that Hooks is Ohio’s biggest offensive weapon not named Nathan Rourke. The redshirt freshman caught a 21-yard touchdown pass one play after hauling a 49-yard completion that provided the Bobcats with their two most explosive plays of the game. 

Hooks, who is 6 feet, 4 inches tall, should continue to make Randy Moss-like catches against conference opponents. Don’t be surprised if offensive coordinator Tim Albin tries to include him more in the game plan, particularly in the red zone.

Stock down

Ron Collins

The defensive coordinator has plenty of work to address in the bye week after the defense struggled with tackling for the second consecutive week. Ohio recorded its first turnover since Week 1, too, but it will need to force more of those against MAC opponents.

Fixing those problems for the next game against Buffalo on Oct. 5 is a tall task, but it’s one Collins and the defense will need to make to avoid losing what could already be dubbed a must-win game in Week 6. The Bobcats believe they have the talent to turn things around. They need to show that against the Bulls.

Wide receivers

Outside of Hooks, the wideouts had a tough time against the Cajuns. Dropped passes and mistimed routes showed a lack of chemistry with Rourke and played a large role in Ohio’s six-point first half.

Those mistakes shouldn’t be too difficult to patch up, but it’s fair to question the consistency of the receiver group and wonder if its youth might hinder the impact Rourke has typically made with Ohio during conference play the past two seasons. 

Redshirt junior Cam Odom, Ohio’s most experienced wideout, returned from an injury and made a season-high three receptions for 26 yards, but he was targeted 10 times and could’ve made a bigger impact. The Bobcats will need more out of Odom moving forward.

@anthonyp_2

ap012215@ohio.edu