Ohio's attacking midfielder Alivia Milesky (left) and forward Abby Townsend (right) pose together at Chessa Field in the sunrise of Wednesday, Sept.11, 2019.

Soccer: How Abby Townsend and Alivia Milesky's relationship grew on and off the field last summer

Abby Townsend and Alivia Milesky spent their summer mornings finding open high school gyms or parks to train at.

When they weren’t at the local Planet Fitness for a workout, the two Ohio offensive stars worked on speed and agility drills or just got touches with the ball to improve their skill moves.

But getting extra time with each other wasn’t just about the soccer skills for Townsend and Milesky. The two Bobcats wanted to build a connection together that lasted both on and off the field.

They saw glimpses of greatness when they worked in stereo during the 2018 season and wanted to build off that before they got started in 2019.

Townsend and Milesky were accountability partners this past season, which meant they worked closely together to see what they could improve individually and within the structure of the team. Their bond grew during their time as partners, mentoring each other, and building a relationship that began to extend past soccer. Milesky and Townsend wanted more of that after the season ended.

“Even though we had one season together, it wasn't enough for us to have the chemistry that we wanted,” Milesky said.

They joined the city club team Columbus Eagles for the summer along with fellow Bobcats Sarina Dirrig and Olivia Sensky. Townsend was unsure if she even wanted to play in the — she felt burnt out after Ohio’s 2018 season, but she cherished working with other Ohio players during her time on the Eagles.

“It was a more of a relaxed play,” Townsend said. “I got to meet a whole bunch of new people, the coaches were awesome. I’m just really glad I got the opportunity to do that and play all summer.”

On the field, the Eagles really helped Milesky and Townsend learn each other’s tendencies as a player. Milesky learned to recognize when Townsend is trying to use her speed to get in position for the shot and got comfortable firing the pass into her. 

That awareness has already benefited the Bobcats once this season, when Milesky sent a ball over the top of the Eastern Kentucky defense right in front of Townsend’s feet to set her up for the golden goal in the 2-1 overtime victory for Ohio on Aug. 22.

That wasn’t the only time their connection with each other contributed to a tightly-contested Ohio victory. On Aug. 30th, it was Milesky’s turn to score the golden goal for the Bobcats, this time with Townsend recording the assist. Together, they secured a 2-1 double-overtime victory over Cleveland State.

Ohio started its season with five straight victories, and the relationship between Townsend and Milesky is a big reason why. After the effect playing for the Eagles had on her and Townsend’s relationship, Milesky is encouraging her fellow Bobcats to look into joining club teams together.

Soccer was not the only activity Milesky and Townsend did together this past summer, too. Lunches and dinners together, trips to the pool and spending the day at the Olentangy Community Festival were just some of the events that brought their relationship beyond what happens on the pitch.

“It really was a unique connection we were able to build together over the summer,” Milesky said. “Our connection is something special.”

The two Bobcat forwards are confident their friendship will last after college, but Milesky’s time at Ohio will end earlier than Townsend’s. Milesky is in her final year while Townsend is just a sophomore. 

Townsend is sad this is their last year together at Ohio, but she sees great things for Milesky in the future.

“I’m definitely going to miss Liv after her senior year, but I’m really excited to see what she does in teaching.”

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports