Ohio defender Heather McGuire (No. 9) sprints past Southern Illinois University defender Sam DeJulio during the match on Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019. The Bobcats won 7-0.

Soccer: Heather McGuire enjoying versatile role, finding success in first year with Ohio

Heather McGuire was scared to start her first match as a midfielder.

On Sept. 8, Ohio played against Southern Illinois. It was the first time McGuire, a freshman, made the move from defender to midfielder, and she was unsure about what she was doing or where she was supposed to be on the pitch.

“I was shaken up,” McGuire said. 

McGuire felt her confusion melt away, however, as her teammates helped her find her way from the midfielder position. As she got more comfortable in her new role, she saw her play improve, and it showed on the scoreboard. 

In the 51st minute against the Salukis, McGuire received a downfield pass from fellow freshman Olivia Page that set McGuire up to rocket the ball into the Southern Illinois net and give the Bobcats a 2-0 lead, McGuire’s first career collegiate goal.

Then, McGuire leapt into a hug from Lindsey Townsend before she was bombarded by teammates. Both she and the Bobcats overflowed with joy.

It was a milestone she achieved relatively early in her college career, and she no longer had to think about when it would be coming. Now, the nerves were past McGuire.

She also felt a sense of gratitude to coach Aaron Rodgers for putting her at midfield. If she was a defender, McGuire likely would have never received such a perfect scoring opportunity.

For Rodgers, putting McGuire at midfielder was about increasing her versatility as a player. He wants to instill a culture where players can fill a role as needed, and McGuire fits the mold.

“We need all of our players on the field to set play and to be comfortable on the ball, and she definitely does that,” Rodgers said. “But all of our players need to be able to defend as well. She has all of those traits.”

Ohio defeated Southern Illinois 7-0 with McGuire scoring two goals in the victory. Since that match, McGuire has been typically played at defender but has occasionally switched back to a midfielder. For her, switching positions so frequently is a matter of making sure she keeps the right mindset.

In her first year, McGuire has played in every match, whether it be as a defender or midfielder. She has been a part of some vital moments so far, whether it be double overtime victories or playing stout teams such as No. 12 Georgetown or Ohio State.

Getting her these critical reps in her first year is a point of emphasis for Rodgers as he tries to develop her into a key part of the team for the next four years. Showing McGuire that she can make an impact as a freshman has built her confidence immensely.

McGuire her doubts about her ability to contribute this season when she arrived as a freshman. Ohio has a nucleus that just had the most successful season in program history, and the idea of joining the team gave her nerves.

“These girls on the team are really good, and they’ve been playing for a while,” McGuire said. “I didn’t really expect much.”

Her teammates helped McGuire find her role on the team and gave her a model to follow. She looks up to Ohio’s seniors and their leadership ability. 

When McGuire is in their position, she wants to follow in their footsteps.

“Down the road,” she said, “I hope I can eventually be like that for the other girls on the team.”

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports