The women's soccer team huddles together before their game against the Akron Zips on Oct. 4, 2018.

Soccer: Ohio starts MAC play with 2-1 win over Northern Illinois

The Bobcats headed to DeKalb, Illinois, to face Northern Illinois on Friday in desperate need of a win. It was their first Mid-American Conference game of the season, and they came into it on the back of three straight losses. Ohio is looking to compete for a MAC title this season, so starting conference play with a win was a must, especially given that the Huskies were ranked last in the MAC preseason poll. 

Ohio came out victorious by a score of 2-1, starting MAC play exactly the way it needed to.

The Bobcats started off on the right foot with two shots on goal and four corners in the first 25 minutes of the match. This was a sign of things to come, as their pressure paid off in the 25th minute when sophomore Abby Townsend scored her second goal of the season, this one assisted by Maddie Young, to give Ohio a much-needed lead. This goal relieved any pressure for the Bobcats. They entered this game having lost three in a row.

As the first half progressed, Ohio was still on the front foot but was unable to force Northern Illinois goalkeeper Megan Donnally to make any more saves. Despite only scoring one goal, the Bobcats dominated the first half and outshot the Huskies 9-1 overall and 3-0 in shots on goal. They also had four corners to Northern Illinois’ one. 

However, Ohio came out motivated in the second half and within five minutes, Maddie Young doubled its advantage. The two-goal cushion was short-lived, however, as the Huskies scored just eight minutes later to cut Ohio’s lead in half. The Bobcats were able to regain control of the game, and Northern Illinois was only able to generate one shot after their lone goal.

The Bobcats needed a win in their first conference game, and they got one, earning their most important win of the season thus far.

Ohio is in action again Sunday in Kalamazoo, Michigan, against Western Michigan. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.

@squilliam234

wc425318@ohio.edu