Ohio University's Victoria Breeden (#14) and Robert Morris' Kayla Veloso-Lima (#19) battle it out for a ball during the Bobcats’ home game on Friday, Sept. 13, 2019. (FILE)

Soccer: Ohio falls to Western Michigan to end weekend road trip

The Bobcats headed into Sunday’s game with momentum on their side. They won their first Mid-American Conference game of the season on Friday while on the road, and it looked to do the same against Western Michigan.

Western Michigan took the pitch Sunday without a conference win in the early goings of the season. That all changed when the Broncos defeated Ohio 1-0.

The first half was relatively even, and it showed, as both sides generated just one shot on goal. Western Michigan had two shots that missed the goal and three corners in the half as well, but they came to nothing. 

There was not much to separate the two teams in the opening period, given that they are expected to be in close proximity in the MAC standings this season. The half came to a close with few clear-cut chances, and the game still knotted at zeros.

Western Michigan came out strong in the second half, however. It generated five shots in the first 15 minutes. Just after the fifth of these shots, the Broncos finally broke through and scored the game’s lone goal in the 62nd minute. Morgan Otteson netted her fifth goal of the season for the Broncos.

The Bobcats started to generate more offense once they were down. They only had two shots prior, but after the Broncos goal, the Bobcats generated shots on goal in the 68th, 77th, 80th and 84th minute of the game.

Ohio will try to rebound next weekend with two more conference games against Toledo on Friday and Bowling Green on Sunday, both at Chessa Field in Athens. The Bobcats will be excited to finally be back home where they hold a 3-1 record and have outscored their opponents 11-3 this season.

@squilliam234

wc425318@ohio.edu