Ohio University's Victoria Breeden (#14) and Robert Morris' Kayla Veloso-Lima (#19) battle it out for a ball during the Bobcats’ home game on Friday, Sept. 13, 2019. (FILE)

Soccer: Ohio ends nonconference play with loss to Georgetown

The Bobcats (5-3) lost their third match in a row and their final non-conference match in definitive fashion, as Georgetown (6-2-1) kept Ohio scoreless in a 7-0 victory.

Ranked No. 12 in the nation by the United Soccer Coaches, the Hoyas provided the Bobcats their toughest matchup of the season. Ohio will look to move on from the loss and look ahead to the start of Mid-American Conference play.

The offense has slowed down significantly for the Bobcats, as they have only scored one goal during its three-match losing streak. In the two matches prior to the double-overtime loss to Robert Morris on Sept. 13, Ohio has scored a combined 11 goals.

In the match against the Hoyas, Ohio struggled to find looks at the net and only recorded four shots, and only three of those were on goal. Georgetown had 16 shots, and 12 of them were on goal. 

The Hoyas struck early and scored five of their seven goals in the first half, including three within the first 15 minutes of the match.

The struggles to keep the Hoyas out of their net is a new issue for the Bobcats this season. Friday’s match with Georgetown is the first time Ohio has allowed more than three goals in a match since Aug. 7, 2018, in its 4-0 loss to Cleveland State.

The Bobcats will open MAC play on the road and travel to DeKalb, Illinois, on Friday to take on Northern Illinois (1-3-1). First touch from the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex is scheduled for 7 p.m.

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports