Photo of Any Colour performing. (Provided via Any Colour's Facebook page)

Pink Floyd tribute band to perform at The Union for Parents Weekend

Any Colour, a local Pink Floyd tribute band, will perform at The Union Bar and Grill, 18 W. Union St. Saturday night, giving students and parents the opportunity to enjoy a live show together.

Any Colour was formed in 2010 as an Athens super group. The members of Any Colour include lead guitarists Nick Dzuban and Joe Etgen and bassist John Patrick Corliss. Vocals shared among the three.

“Dzuban does a really mean David Gilmour,” Ethan Bartman, an employee at The Union, said.

Bartman said The Union tries to book Any Colour for parents weekend because moms and dads listen to Pink Floyd and have an appreciation for the band.

“It’s usually really busy, just a lot of students coming out with their folks,” Bartman said. “Pink Floyd is a connection for some students and their parents because kids grew up listening to what their parents played.”

Bartman said Any Colour does an impressive rendition of Pink Floyd, but the band has a way of making the music in its own way.

“They make it their own thing definitely, but they definitely recall the actual sounds,” Bartman said. “They’re good at making it sound like the original tunes, but they also get creative with it. That’s what I like about them.”

Pink Floyd has been a part of multiple generations, and the group’s music continues to allow people from all age groups to bond over it. 

“Pink Floyd is a pretty timeless band,” Bartman said. “I think it’s good that the younger people still listen to it and enjoy it, and then the parents get to listen to some music that they want to listen to instead of the clubbing stuff.”

Some students at Ohio University are interested in and enjoy listening to Pink Floyd because they grew up listening to it while around their parents.

Noah Gruenberg, a junior studying music composition, said he discovered Pink Floyd on his own in middle school and the band influenced him greatly as a musician who plays the electric violin.

“A lot of (Pink Floyd’s) music could be said to be left of center and odd to other people, and my music is also odd, so it kind of gives me hope that I could be successful commercially as well,” Gruenberg said.

Gruenberg has never seen Any Colour live, but said he would be interested in attending a show and see their rendition of one of his favorite bands.

“I would want to see them because I’m curious to see how differently they interpret some of the songs they’re playing from the originals,” Gruenberg said.

Jeremy Hayes, another employee at The Union, said Any Colour brings its own lights that are set up prior to the show, which make the performance even more impressive.

“The Any Colour shows are always really packed, but I mean it’s always just a great vibe,” Hayes said. “Pink Floyd is a chill kind of band and they honor them well. It’s shoulder-to-shoulder in there, but it’s always really nice, and it’s always on parents or dads weekends so it brings in the older crowds.”

@hannahnoelburk

hb239417@ohio.edu