The Geiger Counter: President Trump, why are you so afraid of democracy?

The Republican Party took a massive step forward this week, embracing its fear of something it claims to revere: democracy. 

South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona, and Kansas all cancelled their Republican Presidential Primaries this week, showcasing the totalitarian state of the Republican Party in the Trump era.

Cancelling primary elections is a clear attack on American democracy and a slap in the face to the 43% of Republicans who want President Trump to face a primary opponent. With the president’s net approval rating having never cracked 46%, it’d be wise for the Republican party to test the waters with a candidate who can appeal to more voters. 

President Trump has come out in support of the primary cancellations, and even suggested that he wouldn’t debate his three primary opponents, calling them “a total joke.”

Mr. President, your fear of running in a primary election is a “total joke.”

There is no good reason to cancel a contested presidential primary. It is unprecedented and anti-democratic. It is also certainly not to save taxpayer money, as South Carolina Republican Party Chairman Drew McKissick claims. I’d be willing to wager that voters care more about their right to vote and less about a small line item in the state’s budget.

Even the Republican National Committee has shown its true face, taking the unprecedented step in January to pledge its “undivided support” to President Trump’s reelection.

President Trump is being challenged by three individuals, former South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford, former Illinois Rep. Joe Walsh, and former Massachusetts Governor William Weld. All three have made statements criticizing states for cancelling their primaries, and rightfully so.

Suspending South Carolina’s primary is especially egregious, because it’s Sanford’s home state and the third primary in the election cycle. The South Carolina Republican Party apparently believes that the president will be vulnerable there. 

Sanford can’t even vote for himself. Let that sink in.

If the President claims he’s liked by 94% of his party, why not put it to the test? President Trump, why are you so scared of democracy?

Matthew Geiger is a freshman studying economics at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Matthew? Tweet him @Mattg444.