7 easy snacks and meals to make in the comfort of your dorm

With crazy class schedules, jobs and extracurricular activities, it’s not always easy for students to get to the dining halls. However, it’s easy to use meal swipes or money to buy groceries at the markets and stores on campus that can create delicious snacks and meals in the comfort of your own dorm. Here are seven easy snacks to make with just some ingredients from the market, silverware and a microwave: 

Peanut butter and jelly (and other sandwiches)

The market carries peanut butter ($4.49), jelly ($3.65), bread ($2.29 white or $3.29 wheat), cheese (prices range from $3 to $5), deli meats ($5.49 for turkey and $4.49 for ham) and other necessary ingredients to make a good sandwich. First pick whatever sandwich you want to eat, if it’s peanut butter and jelly, buy those ingredients, if it’s turkey and cheese, buy those. There’s also condiments like mayonnaise ($5.15) and mustard ($4.39) available to top the sandwich off. 

Fruit and vegetable platter

Fruits and vegetables are not only a really healthy choice, but they’re also easy to find at the markets. There are pre-sliced fruits and vegetables (prices vary), or there are whole fruits (ranging from $0.50 to $5 per pound) and vegetables (ranging from $2 to $10 per pound) you can cut up yourself. Complete with vanilla yogurt ($1.95) to dip the fruit and ranch ($3.39) or different kinds of hummus ($3.99) to dip the vegetables, and you’ve got a little fruit and vegetable platter that will surely hit the spot. 

Tacos or quesadillas

Athens has great Mexican food joints like Casa Nueva or Big Mamma's Burritos, but you don’t have to go out to eat to experience a Mexican-style meal in your own dorm. Just go to the market and buy whatever meat you choose, cheese, tortillas ($1.85), salsa ($4.25), lettuce (prices vary) and any other fixings you’d like, put the ingredients together, heat it up in the microwave and you can create a delicious taco or quesadilla in a short amount of time. 

Toasts (peanut butter, avocado and more)

Toast is one of the easiest snacks or breakfast items to make, but unfortunately students don’t have access to a toaster. However, it’s still possible to make toast in the microwave. First, buy the bread and whatever spread you want, like peanut butter or avocados ($4.75 per pound). Then, put a paper towel on the bottom of the microwave, and put however many slices of bread you want to make inside. Heat the bread up for 30 seconds, then see how it looks and add more time if needed. Once the bread is done cooking, spread on whatever you choose and enjoy.

Coffee cup quiche

This seemingly-complicated recipe is actually extremely simple to create in a dorm room. First, go to the market and buy eggs ($1.85 per dozen), milk ($2.55 for small bottle), bread (bagels or regular bread), cream cheese ($5.29) and, if you want meat, turkey or ham. Then, beat the egg and mix the milk together with a fork in a microwaveable mug, then tear the bread into dime-size pieces and stir in. Next, add cream cheese, salt and pepper, and the meat, and mix it all together. Put the mixture in the microwave on high for about 70 seconds, and you’ve got yourself a mini quiche. 

Rice bowls

Rice bowls can be a good choice with the proper ingredients. First, buy microwavable rice ($3.15), any of your favorite vegetables, cheese, any meat you want and sriracha ($2.19) or other dressings to add the final touch. Rice bowls are healthy and delicious choice and are really up to the imagination of the creator, just add whatever you think would go well in a rice bowl, heat it up in the microwave and you’re good to go.

Mini Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving doesn’t just have to be in November, with the spread from the markets it’s possible to create a Thanksgiving meal in your dorm. Just buy turkey, mac and cheese ($2.19) and some green beans ($2.75), heat it all up in the microwave, and you’ve got a makeshift Thanksgiving meal. 

These are just a few of the suggestions that you could create from the markets, but get creative with them! Find the foods you want to combine that cater to your taste buds, and create these quick and easy snacks and meals.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu