President Nellis speaks during the first student senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017. (File)

Student Senate: Lindsey Rudibaugh presents on the importance of experiential learning

Ohio University’s Director of Undergraduate Experiential Learning presented at Wednesday’s Student Senate meeting on the new experiential learning program.  

The upcoming program will be available to all undergraduates to encourage students to become more involved in community service, study abroad, internships and research. The whole goal is to have students become more critical but fair-minded decision makers.  

“Become a reflective practitioner,” Lindsey Rudibaugh, director of undergraduate experiential learning, said.   

The plan is to make the applications for the classes as accessible as possible and they will be posted online. More information will be available in the coming months.

Mayor Steve Patterson also presented a City Source app, which is a safety app for on and off-campus that will work in conjunction with Bobcat Safe.

“Now you’re armored,” Patterson said.

He also provided a construction update on the Richland Pedestrian Passageway project with the official start date being March 1, 2020, and the approximate completion being Sept. 11. The bridge will also include LED lighting to “make it look really hip.”

Senate also appointed five new senators. Two students were appointed to the Residence Life Commission and three students were appointed to Women’s Affairs Commission. Conner Sweeney, a freshman studying mechanical engineering who created a petition for 2-ply toilet paper in university bathrooms, was appointed to the Residence Life commission.  

The commission reports included an approval for coffee and cookies on Constitution Day to be served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday Sept. 17 at the top of Baker Center. They will also be passing out mini Constitutions and helping with voter registration.

The meeting wrapped up with a moment of silence for the passing away of three students and the announcement of a silent backpack packing on Sept. 24 to raise awareness and prevention for suicide on campus.    

@Gray13Regan

rg879318@ohio.edu