President Nellis speaks during the first student senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017. (File)

Student Senate: President Nellis presents on Ohio University’s progress

Ohio University’s President Duane Nellis presented Wednesday at Student Senate’s meeting on the university’s progress and upcoming plans.  

The president’s report included the need for OU to enhance its academic reputation by creating programs that are interesting and engaging through a change in general education requirements. The goal is to have them in place for the next academic year. 

“We want to be nimble and responsive to the rapid changes in our society,” Nellis said.

Nellis said a committee is being put together for student input on general education programs, headed by Dean of University College Elizabeth Sayrs and Katie Hartman, chair and associate professor of marketing. Nellis hopes that the future general education courses will be more experiential.  

Elaine Goetz, director of sustainability, and Sam Crowl, associate director of sustainability, from the Office of Sustainability also presented on the progress that OU has made in improving sustainability around campus.  

The Ohio Student Farm, in conjunction with Sustainable Living Hub, wants to be able to use the food that it grows in the dining halls in the future. Currently, the leftover food from their farmer’s market is donated to the university’s food pantry.  

Ryan Fogt, associate professor of meteorology and director of the Scalia lab, also presented on the Climate and Sustainability Ambassadors. The club is made up of students who are seeking to improve sustainability on campus and in the surrounding area. 

Students of the club are currently working to make all home football games a zero waste event. The club also plans to talk to students in dorms about how to reduce waste on campus.

The meeting concluded with the approval of a new Clerk of Court, new water bottle fillers, the Student Senate vision and allocated funds to the senate body.   

@Gray13Regan

rg879318@ohio.edu