CBD oils and CBD gummies on display at The Drugstore at OU.

CBD is now available to purchase at The Drugstore at OU

The Drugstore at OU, 2 Health Center Drive, Room 109, recently made CBD products available for students to purchase. 

CBD, or cannabidiol, is a non-intoxicating cannabinoid derived from cannabis and hemp plants. CBD has many potential benefits including anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, anti-anxiety and seizure-suppressant properties.

The decision to start carrying CBD comes after the sale of it recently became legal in Ohio on July 30, when Gov. Mike DeWine signed a bill that legalized the possession, purchase and sale of hemp and hemp products.

Since then, CBD has become an increasingly popular supplement and is sometimes being added to food, drink and creams.

The line of CBD products that the OU drugstore is carrying is called Green Roads CBD. The line includes gummies, oil and a relaxation cream. They also have a line of CBD for cats, dogs and horses called Paw CBD. 

The price of gummies ranges from $6.99 to $9.99, and the oils and cream are being sold for $24.99. No medical card or prescription is needed to buy the products, and all students’ purchases can be charged directly to their MyOHIO Student Account. 

“It’s a really good supplement, and we’re glad we can sell it over-the-counter now,” Alexis Thatcher, a pharmacist at the drugstore, said. “We see a lot of people come in and get CBD for relaxation purposes and to cope with all the stress that students have.”

Thatcher said students tend to buy more of edibles for stress, particularly the gummies for relaxing. 

Some students have used it and found it to be helpful in their daily lives. 

Serena Wenzler, a junior studying health service administration, has used CBD for three to four months to alleviate symptoms of Hashimoto's disease and anxiety. Wenzler said she felt a difference immediately after taking it. 

“The main reason I wanted to try it was for anxiety, but then I realized it could help other problems I had,” Wenzler said. “I did a bunch of research on it and found a lot of positive benefits that it could have on my particular autoimmune disease.”

The biggest positive change that Wenzler has seen from taking CBD is the alleviation of brain fog. 

“I get really bad brain fog where I just can’t focus or concentrate, and as soon as I take it, that immediately goes away,” Wenzler said. “I also was having pretty bad headaches, and I think that it's helped with that. And overall, it just has just made me feel like a normal person. It makes me feel less tired,” Wenzler said. 

Another student, Ally Cartwright, a sophomore studying psychology, said she took a dose of CBD daily for over a week and didn’t feel any different. 

“I was really stressed out from school last year and got it to try and help me fall asleep faster and to see if it would take some of my stress away,“ Cartwright said. “I have to say, I didn’t really notice a difference at all.” 

Since CBD is a relatively new product, Thatcher advises that all students who are currently taking medication check with a doctor before trying it to make sure CBD is safe to take at the same time. 

Doctor’s aren’t sure how CBD can affect and react with other medicine, Thatcher said. 

“It’s always good to double check and make sure it’s safe,” Thatcher said.

@BussertMaddie

mb901017@ohio.edu