Post Edit: Copy editing is more than undervalued; it’s necessary

When I tell people my focus as a journalism major is on copy editing, I’m usually asked the same set of questions in a plethora of different variations, such as: “Why would you consider yourself a journalist if you’re not writing then?”

It’s a vital part of journalism. That’s why.

Picture it this way: When you’re writing an essay worth a huge percentage of your grade, you’re anxious, and you don’t always rely on yourself to compose an error-free paper. You might send it to a friend you trust, someone who knows their way around grammar, syntax and so on. You’ll feel better about turning it in once your friend looks at it.

That’s me in journalism. I’m the friend who makes you feel better.

I do write, though. Besides copy editing, I’ve found my niche in reviewing music and occasionally producing tennis commentary. These topics impart a sense of contentment into my entire being, but they’re just hobbies. I wouldn’t be where I am without my beginnings as a writer, when I first noticed the significance of producing unblemished content, but I now know copy editing is what I’m destined to do.

And, yes, I know, even as the copy chief of a huge publication, I make mistakes. I get down on myself every time I do, but I also know they’re for the best because they’ll push me to do better. They’ll push me to study The Associated Press’ convoluted stylistic requirements harder, and they’ll push me to help provide informative, captivating information to you.

The point I’m trying to get across is this: copy editing is crucial to media outlets everywhere. Having an extra set of eyes look over work to absolutely ensure everything is in ship-shape is not only preferred; it’s necessary. Nobody wants to get their information from a publication that’s infested with error after error. With each error comes a dip in reliability, and I think of this every time I miss a mistake.

Even though you can’t see my editing, know I’m there keeping readers in mind. My goal every day is to deliver flawless copy to you, and I’ll never stop aiming for that.

Bre Offenberger is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Email her at bo844517@ohio.edu.