From the Editor's Desk: Combatting mid-semester homesickness

Freshmen are finally getting used to the college lifestyle. Sophomores are just glad they are no longer freshmen. Juniors are worried about finding a summer internship. Seniors have already accepted that senioritis is taking over. 

It’s also that point in the semester, however, that homesickness starts to set in.

Athens is one of my favorite places to be, and I am slowly trying to cross everything off my bucket list that I can. 

I never thought as a senior that I would find myself missing home so much, but I do. Although it’s only a three and a half hour drive away, I haven’t had the chance to make the drive back to Cleveland this semester. 

I miss my parents making me a home cooked meal instead of making one in my microwave. I miss my dog Mira, who may not be the brightest but always puts a smile on my face. I miss my friends from high school and talking about our college experiences. I miss Mitchell’s Ice Cream (if you’re from Cleveland, you understand why). I even miss having cable television just to channel surf. 

Looking at the time between now and Thanksgiving break, I won’t have the time to visit home. It’s starting to leave me torn. 

As much as I would love to head home for a weekend, I also don’t want to miss some of my last opportunities to soak up as much of Athens as I can before graduation in May. 

That seems far away now, but this semester has already flown by so much. Week eight marks the halfway point of the semester. 

Everyone is settled into their weekly routines. It’s the time when students are stressed and overwhelmed with the start of final projects, midterms and applying for jobs, but all we really want is a good night’s sleep. 

Soon, some of my friends will be graduating early, and I won’t see them every day. Bagel Street Deli and Brenen’s won’t be a short walk down the street from my apartment. I will even miss working on creating the print version of The Post every week with our late night team. 

I still have a lot to cross off my bucket list, like hiking Bong Hill and eating at all the pizza places, so I need all the time I can get. I am also accepting the fact that it’s okay for me to be homesick and miss my hometown. 

Part of me knows my home in Cleveland will always be there, but the home I made here in Athens won’t. All too soon, I will be graduated and will be homesick for Athens. 

So for now, as much as I miss home, I am perfectly content with staying in my second home. 

Ellen Wagner is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Ellen at ew047615@ohio.edu or tweet her @ewagner19.