From the Editor's Desk: Know your public record rights

Last week, The Post published several stories with public records from Ohio University.

We received mixed feedback through emails, social media and in-person as a result of publishing the stories. Some people liked the idea of having access to this information, while others felt it violated privacy or was not relevant information for the public. 

The salary guide showed each university employees’ salary for 2019. We received feedback that people enjoyed looking at the searchable database, including students who enjoyed looking up their professors’ salaries. 

The story about the hazing allegations answered questions about the Interfraternity Council, three sororities, two business fraternities, the Marching 110 and the men’s club rugby team, which were under investigation for hazing. Many of these reports included reactions to protect the identity of the person who reported the incidents while the investigation is ongoing. 

However, this is information that anyone could request. As journalists, we just make it a little easier for you to find out this information. 

The Freedom of Information Act, or FOIA, allows anyone to request access to federal agency or information that are not protected by exemptions. 

Ohio Open Records Law was created in 1963 and describes which records are available. The law explains which agencies are covered, potential fees for the request and who can ask for records. 

Anyone can request a public record, and no statement of purpose is required to be given. Requests can be made anonymously. Records kept by any public office, nonprofit and for-profit private schools are also included in the law. 

Exemptions from the Ohio Open Record Law include personal bank records, probation and parole records, medical records, adoption records and some law enforcement investigation records. 

The law also does not include restrictions on the use of records and does not specify a time limit for the request to be responded to.

Although public records are not in every article we publish, The Post is not unfamiliar with making record requests. 

It is our job as journalists to inform the public, but we don’t want the public to think we are printing information that we shouldn’t be. 

We make requests on information we think it is important for people to know about. Sometimes we find something interesting, sometimes we do not find anything at all. But we will never know unless we try to request the record. 

Anyone can request records. You just have to know your rights. 

Ellen Wagner is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Have questions? Email Ellen at ew047615@ohio.edu or tweet her @ewagner19.