Students gather around to paint the banner that will used for the band during the Honey for the Heart parade this Saturday in Athens OH, Oct. 22, 2019.

Honey for the Heart parade and ball to showcase recycled art

Halloween in Athens is becoming an artistic affair. 

Honey for the Heart, an extension of Passion Works Studio, is holding a parade that showcases its artistic creations, followed by a celebratory ball, each open to everyone. 

Honey for the Heart has served as a pop-up studio during October and is held at Central Venue, 29 E. Carpenter St., offered by Central Avenue Church. The studio creates large, handmade puppets, some of which are worn by participants in the parade.

Patty Mitchell, the director and coordinator of Honey for the Heart, explained that the inspiration for the parade stemmed from a desire to set a different tone during Halloween in Athens. 

“Eight years ago, we started up after seeing evidence of a giant puppet parade in another community,” Mitchell said. “We then put it together in Athens for Halloween to make it more of an arts and cultural event and a time of delight and wonder.”

After several years of the project showcasing art in the parade, Matt Thomson, a member of the Central Avenue church, conjured the idea of an event that could take place after the parade, extending the celebration later into the night. 

“The Honey for the Heart Ball idea was my idea three years ago,” Thomson said. “So I talked with Patty about this idea where the parade could end back in the venue and we had an event with music and food. You could see her eyes light up with excitement about the idea and she loved the concept.”

The ball is a lowkey and inviting event, providing refreshments as well as a performance by the local band The Wild Honeybees. Thomson said his favorite part of the ball is seeing diverse groups of people each relish in the simple enjoyment of the night. 

“You have people ranging in ages from infants to toddlers running around and dancing all the way up to senior citizens and significantly older populations of people interacting with each other and just dancing and enjoying themselves,” Thomson said. 

The art that is created in the venue and shown throughout the event is constructed from recycled materials and is transformed into eccentric characters and whimsical decorations. Mitchell expressed that this aspect of the art is meaningful to the overall values of Athens. 

“To see virtually piles of junk turn into beautiful treasures and puppets, that’s a whole other level,” Mitchell said. “And then people realizing they have the power to do that. We’re creating the physical evidence of the spirit of Athens.”

Honey for the Heart has a vast number of volunteers that contribute to the creations. Mitchell emphasized that the ability to share the process with numerous people gives an insight to collaboration and creativity. 

“Kids come in here and I know they’re going to be changed forever seeing what’s possible,” Mitchell said. “I’m asked by every kid that comes in here if this is my job, and yes it is. I pour glitter on that art for a living.”

Dora Rodriguez, an artist for Passion Works and Honey for the Heart, said a unique feature of the production is that each creation is spontaneous and unconventional, which can adapt their role each day. 

“It’s all collaborative, and everyday is a new thing,” Rodriguez said. “You’re making a penguin head or you’re decorating a giant cake or you’re just helping volunteers make things that are pretty simple that’ll all add up to a bigger piece.”

By being an artist for this company, Rodriguez believes the satisfaction comes less from their creations themselves, but rather, from the reactions of the public. 

“I can’t imagine a better way to make art for a better reason,” Rodriguez said. “I’m not even thinking about it and it’s not about my ego. I’m just jumping in everyday and helping to make something wacky that’s gonna make someone smile.”

For Mitchell, the beauty of Honey for the Heart resides in the connections built between those who gather to create art together. 

“The really beautiful thing is strangers are standing next to each other, chatting, hanging out, creating connections that may never have happened otherwise,” Mitchell said. “And I think what we all crave is connection, purpose and belonging, so the story of Halloween in Athens is happening right in front of us.”

@laureneserge

ls351117@ohio.edu