Marshalls on East State Street in Athens, Ohio.

Marshalls to open later this month

Marshalls, a well-known retail branch of TJX Companies Inc., will open at 743 E State St. on Oct. 24. 

The 21,500 square-foot building will be open to the public from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. that Thursday and offer similar products the other 1,100 Marshalls around the country offer, according to a press release. 

There will also be giveaways, and the company is excited to introduce brand-name merchandise at the low prices that Marshalls is known for, Tim Miner, president of Marshalls, said in the release. 

Athens residents can expect about 60 new full and part-time jobs to open up.

Aside from the usual amenities, the store will offer The Cube, which is “a hip, in-store boutique of contemporary fashions,” according to the release

“I usually look at their water bottles and the home goods section. Sometimes I look at the clothes,” Anna Tippett, a sophomore studying restaurants, hotels and tourism, said. 

There are a few other retail stores already open on East State Street that are similar to Marshalls. Gordmans, for example, is a similar type of store, but Tippett said she doesn’t think this will affect Marshalls’ business. 

“It’s very different products in (Gordmans). They sell cheaper, more junior types of clothes that younger people would wear,“ Tippett said. “Marshalls has a good mix of everything.”

Zachary Dupler, a freshman studying education, said that he’s excited because there’s not many places in Athens to buy clothes. 

“Marshalls is just a great store because it has all the really good name brand stuff, but it’s actually like affordable,“ he said.

He also likes some of the more unique clothing Marshalls offers.

“It’s like a glorified thrift store I guess — I found this Smurf shirt and it goes hard, it has, like, rainbows and Papa Smurf.”

Regular store hours for Marshalls will be from 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sundays.

@logan_rmoore 

lm847015@ohio.edu

Kevin Pan contributed to this report.