Andrew Wells, of Ohio, prepares to pass the puck past Dylan Holt, of Robert Morris University, during the game versus Robert Morris University on Saturday, October 12, 2019, at Bird Arena. (FILE)

Hockey: Ohio prepared for tough portion of schedule ahead

The Bobcats have their work cut out for them for the next two months.

Ohio will play teams ranked in the top 10 in the nation in five of its next seven series. 

A stretch like that would be hard for any team. The job is even tougher for a team with 11 freshmen on it.

"They’re asking questions. How games might be, how they will play out," Harkins said. "I'm sure they’re confident. We’re confident in them. We know what they can bring to the table."

Coach Cole Bell echoed the same confidence that Harkins has. Not only is Bell confident in the freshmen, but the whole team and its system.

"We have a tough schedule," Bell said. "Let's not forget we are a tough team, too. We are in the top 10 as well."

Consistency is going to be key for the Bobcats during this stretch. Ohio needs to play to its potential through every game. Not doing that will result in a let down.

Playing at that high of a level for an extended period can wear a team down mentally and physically. Bell isn't too worried about that due to the way practices are handled.

"We like to keep it loose and have some fun while we are out there," Bell said. "Besides that, every day, the way we have been working as a group, they can go home and be proud of what they did that day."

This stretch is just another part of the schedule for Harkins and the team. Ohio is ranked No. 6 in the American Collegiate Hockey Association. When playing a top program, like Ohio, the opposing team will always play its best.

"Ranking wise, this might be one of the top schedules we've had," Harkins said. "It doesn't really matter to us, every game we have to go out and perform our best."

This next two months will be a proving point for the Bobcats. Ohio can solidify the identity it wants during the next few series. The Bobcats know, however, that there is still plenty of hockey left to play.

"This will kind of prove where we are at right now," Harkins said. "It's a process. No championships are won in October or November."

To prepare for Iowa State this weekend, the Bobcats ramped up their work in defensive zone drills in practice. The focus was on defense, but the practices covered a wide range, including their power play, which still needs fine-tuning.

"We are still early in the year, so we've got room for improvement all over the place," Bell said. We are definitely not a championship team right now, but we are definitely on the path, and I'm really happy about that."

The first chance for the Bobcats to prove who they are is Friday and Saturday when they host league rival Iowa State.

@17_Andrew_

aa816819@ohio.edu