Ohio University forward, Drew Magyar (#25), during match against Iowa State in Bird Arena on Friday, Oct. 25, 2019.

Hockey: Ohio's defense does enough in 4-2 win over Iowa State

Ohio's defense kept Iowa State from finding its rhythm.

The Bobcats dominated from the beginning of the game and Iowa State didn’t have a shot on goal until there were seven minutes left in the first period.

A big reason for that was the forecheck.

"They weren't able to get into the zone cleanly," coach Cole Bell said. "They really had to fight to get the puck in our zone."

In the first period Iowa State resorted to throwing the puck into their offensive zone. That allowed the Bobcats to gather the puck before the Cyclones had a chance.

The dominating forecheck allowed Ohio to build a comfortable lead early in the game. The Bobcats had found the back of the net twice before Iowa State even registered a shot on goal.

The defense also played an essential role in the second part of the third period. 

Iowa State trailed 4-2 with 3:20 left to play in the third period. Defenseman Shawn Baird was sent to the penalty box for a two-minute hooking penalty and the Cyclones had a solid opportunity to pull the game within one goal.

Their power play unit faltered, however, and Ohio’s penalty kill was successful enough to seal the game. Kyle Craddick played a large role in the PK and blocked two shots consecutively before he was able to clear the zone, resulting in a line change.

"Take a look at all the blocked shots," Bell said. "It's just a real commitment to defense, and being strong defensively out of these guys."

It wasn't just the forecheck and the shot-blocking, thought. 

Ohio’s overall defensive effort was impressive. Things that the Bobcats spent all week working on in practice showed up in the game. Tying up Iowa State's sticks, allowing small gaps and limiting second chances.

The result of this defense showed up in the stat columns, as well. The defense allowed just two shots in each the first and third period. Iowa State had only 14 total shots for the game, even with five power-play opportunities.

This defensive effort is something that the Bobcats are going to have to do again in game two. Iowa State showed in the second period what they can do when the defense takes a break.

"When you go up 4-0 complacency might set in a bit," Tyler Harkins said. "That's something that I've been trying to mention all year. We've got to tighten that up."

Iowa State scored two goals in the second period to make it a close game. The Cyclones only had ten shots but had better scoring chances.

The Bobcats showed a championship-caliber defense in game one. If they consistently show that level of defense that will be another step complete in the long road to figuring out what this team needs to become a real contender.

@17_Andrew_

aa816819@ohio.edu