Ohio's Alivia Milesky (11) embraces teammate Abby Townsend (16) after Townsend's goal in the second half of the match between the Bobcats and the Toledo Rockets at Chessa Field on Friday, Oct. 4, 2019. 

Soccer: Dominance in second half helps Ohio defeat Toledo

In the first half of Friday’s match against Toledo, the Rockets’ defensive aggression slowed any attempts Ohio had at getting momentum. Ohio was pressed defensively by its opponents and were unable to stop in the first 45 minutes of the match.

In the second half, the Bobcats offense found a way to beat the press and the offensive opportunities opened up as a result.

Ohio (7-4, 2-1 Mid-American Conference) scored all of its goals in the second half and secured a 4-0 victory over Toledo (3-8, 0-3 MAC).

Coach Aaron Rodgers scouted Toledo’s press and knew that if the Bobcats could last the initial wave in the first half, then the offense would find the looks it wanted. 

To ensure Ohio got those looks, Rodgers focused on the team attacking more and looking for more passes upfield during the half.

“In the first half, we weren’t really dangerous,” Rodgers said. “We went backwards too much because we weren’t as brave as we could’ve been.”

In the second half, the Bobcats made their adjustments and became more aggressive on offense, and it paid off quickly. 

In the 54th minute, Abby Townsend broke the scoreless tie and opened the floodgates for the Ohio offense.

Not even three minutes after Townsend’s goal, Alivia Milesky found the back of the net for the fourth time this season, tied for the most goals on the team. The Bobcats scored again in the 75th minute when Olivia Page made it a 3-0 match off a Sarina Dirrig assist. 

Ohio found the back of the net one more time in the 81st minute when freshman Maddie Young scored her fourth goal of the season.

Defensively, the Bobcats continued to play the stifling defense that has been a trend all season. Toledo only recorded 10 shots, and just four of those were on goal.

The Bobcats needed a statement win before Sunday’s match against Bowling Green. Ohio will look to redeem its 1-0 loss to the Falcons in last season’s conference semifinals while also gaining ground in the MAC standings. Ohio sits in third, one spot behind Bowling Green.

Ohio goalie Sydney Malham believes the Bobcats are ready for the matchup against the Falcons.

“(Sunday’s game) is super important,” Malham said. “Hopefully we continue what we did in the second half.”

First touch at Chessa Field on Sunday is scheduled for 1 p.m.

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports