Members of the Athens Ohio Roller Derby (AORD) launch themselves for laps around the rink in a practice scrimmage held at Dow's Roller Arena on Saturday, Oct. 22, 2019.

Rollergeist showcases roller derby double-header

Athens’ two roller derby teams face off in their final home games at the Athens Community Center on Saturday. 

The Black Diamond Betties, a newly-formed roller derby team, will face off against Somer City Roller Derby from Kentucky, starting at noon. 

The Black Diamond Betties are an offset of the Appalachian Hell Betties, Athens’ own roller derby team. The Black Diamond Betties are for newer recruits, or “fresh meat” as the team refers to them. 

Lauryn Durrance, a student at Hocking College, is one of them. Durrance, whose derby name is Loosie Goosie, joined roller derby to challenge herself.

“I never thought I’d get into roller derby,” Durrance said. “I’ve always had a fear of skating.”

For Durrance, learning how to skate in the hardest environment possible was the only way for her to learn. 

“After (learning) this everything seems easy,” she said. 

Roller derby has been a very accepting and diverse environment to Durrance. Her inexperience did not keep her from trying. 

“It’s all over the place,” Durrance said. “It’s a lot of different people from all walks of life.” 

Durrance also discovered she had a competitive side through roller derby.

“I’ve been blown away by how competitive I am,” she added. “(Roller derby) teaches you (that) you don’t have limits. It challenges me in ways I’ve never thought.” 

Since Durrance is “fresh meat,” and still learning the sport, she will not be in the derby on Saturday. However, she will be a penalty box official. It’s important for new recruits to fully understand the sport.

Amy Meeks, whose derby name is Maim Squeeze, will be in the derby. She will play in the important position of a blocker for the Appalachian Hell Betties. 

“My skater position helps with offense and defense,” Meeks said. 

In roller derby, teams gain points by a jammer, a person who scores points by making laps around the opposing team. 

“I help get the jammer through and I also help block the other team’s jammer,” Meeks said.

Meeks joined roller derby to be physically fit but found it to be a lot more than about health.

“I really like the sisterhood aspect of it,” she explained. 

Roller derby has been empowering for Meeks, and she has found a support network from the team. She has also found it to be ever-changing and evolving as a sport, and a sport of self-discovery.

“You’re always learning something in roller derby,” Meeks said.

Liz Hammer, whose derby name is Bruzer Von Hammerstein, is the president and captain of the Appalachian Hell Betties. The Hell Betties will be up against Rail City Roller Derby from Virginia in the second game.

“We’re playing teams we’ve never played before,” Hammer said. “It’s really exciting.”

This year marks Hammer’s sixth year of doing roller derby, and she loves the athleticism of the sport.

“It’s a good team sport,” she said. “I started doing all these things physically that I had no idea I could do. I figured out I could do these things and show other people they can do it too.”

Hammer enjoys recruiting and training new team members. This weekend’s competition will be super fun for her.

Hammer is also looking forward to playing during the same weekend Athens celebrates Halloween. Rollergeist will have a costume contest for all ages for anyone who attends dressed up.

“We’re really excited to have it on Halloween and be a part of such a big, exciting day,” Hammer said. “It’s the first time the team has participated in such festivities, too.”

Hammer encourages people to bring their children. Children ages 10 and under get in for free.

“(Kids) super-love roller derby,” Hammer said. 

Rollergeist is the last home game for the Hell Betties and Black Diamond Betties. Their next and final game of the season will be against Hades Ladies. The teams will have a recruiting event on Nov. 2, and encourage anyone who has any interest to come check it out. 

@_kerijohnson

kj153517@ohio.edu