President Nellis speaks during the first student senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017. (File)

Student Senate: Body discusses viral arrest video; Active Minds presents on mental health

Student Senate discussed the viral video of an altercation between three officers from the Athens Police Department and an African-American man Wednesday during its general body meeting.

Senate is currently waiting for more evidence and proper legal proceedings within the Athens city government to go forward before creating any bills or taking any action. In the meantime, the body urges student organizations to reach out to and come to student speak out at Senate’s general body meetings. 

Student Senate tweeted a joint statement from President Lydia Ramlo and Black Affairs Commissioner Isabela Gibson condemning APD’s “discriminatory and brutal behavior.”

A representative from Active Minds also came to present on the importance of ending the stigma around mental health.

Active Minds is a national organization with a chapter at Ohio University. It meets every Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Bentley 306. It partners with many resources on campus, such as the Survivor Advocacy Program. It also partners with national programs like National Alliance on Mental Illness and the Trevor Project.

In the past, Active Minds has been involved in the It’s On Us rally, the NAMI walk and most recently, the Send Silence Packing.

Its upcoming events include a candlelight vigil on Oct. 22 at 6 p.m. and a NEDA walk on Oct. 19.  

Three resolutions were also passed, including the approval of members to the Leadership Development Committee.

Student Senate will also be hosting a town hall for all student organizations on Oct. 21 in Walter 235 from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.

@Gray13Regan

rg879318@ohio.edu