President Nellis speaks during the first student senate meeting of the year at Ohio University on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017. (File)

Student Senate: Interim LGBT director and student trustees present

Ohio University’s interim LGBT Center director updated Student Senate Wednesday about the work the LGBT center is doing this semester.

The LGBT Center’s staff has tripled in size recently. A lot of the center’s work has been reintroducing themselves to the community in Athens, as well as working to expand to OU’s regional campuses.  

“We are truly here for everyone,” Micah McCarey, interim LGBT Center director, said.

McCarey also spoke about the importance the center places on care, inclusion and learning. It offers 90 minute Safe Zone training seminars that go through terminology and where OU stands on certain LGBT issues. The LGBT Center also offers a Hudson Support Fund for students that have sudden financial emergencies.

The LGBT Center is holding an open mic on National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Baker’s Front Room Coffeehouse for anyone who wants to come and speak, or just celebrate and support others, McCarey said.

The meeting continued with Student Trustees Justin Kelley and Austin McClain giving Senate an update on the Board of Trustees meetings that are taking place throughout the day on Thursday and Friday.  

Kelley sits on the Governance and Compensation Committee that will be talking about retirement plans and lowering interest rates. He also sits on the Academics and Student Success Committee that will be talking about general education reform, enrollment updates and conduct cases.

McClain sits on the Resources, Facilities, and Affordability Committee and Audit and Risk Management Committee. Those committees will be talking about budgets, a new bond series and design costs.

The body also approved a new senator for the Off-Campus Commission and a senator to the LGBT Affairs Commission.

@Gray13Regan

rg879318@ohio.edu