College Green on Aug. 18, 2016. (FILE)

Opinion: Attending Ohio University as a third generation Bobcat

I come from a family of Bobcats. Both my dad and his mother attended Ohio University, making me a third generation Bobcat. My grandma was an education major, my dad was a political science major and I am a journalism major. We all came to Ohio University for different reasons, but we are all leaving with the same thing — the pride of being a Bobcat. 

In high school, as it was time to start applying for colleges, my dad never pushed me towards OU. He always encouraged me to go wherever I wanted. But once I took my first steps on Ohio University’s campus, the decision was easy. I got that feeling. When you go there you can’t help but get that feeling, that OU Bobcat feeling. You can’t quite explain it, but any OU student or alumni knows the feeling well. It’s something about the atmosphere and the campus. 

Ohio University is an accepting community to be yourself and make lifelong friends. My grandma, Joyce Bruns Lepof, who attended in 1964 to 1968, is still in contact with her friends from OU, even though they graduated over 50 years ago. She says every time they’re together, “it’s just like the old days.” My father, Matt Lepof, made his best friends at Ohio University. They were in his wedding and are now close family friends. 

“You never forget the time you spent there… you don't have to go back physically, because you'll always remember,” my grandma has said throughout her life. I currently live in Crawford Hall, the same hall my grandma lived in when it was first opened in 1967. 

My father often remembers when he moved me into my dorm for the first time. We left the door open while we were unpacking bags, and many people stopped by the door to say hello or ask if we needed any help. That never happened when they were moving my sister at a different university. It shows the friendly environment at Ohio University. 

Homecoming is a time for current students and alumni to come together to celebrate the history of OU. It’s a time to acknowledge all the great alumni who came before us. Because Ohio University is truly “1804 and so much more.”

Lexi Lepof is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Lexi by tweeting her at @LexiLepof.