Headshot of country singer Justin Moore. (Provided via Justin Moore's Facebook page)

Justin Moore to perform a more intimate show at MemAud

Country fans are in for a treat with Justin Moore’s performance at the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium.

The beloved country singer will perform Thursday at Ohio University’s Memorial Auditorium, featuring special guest Adam Hambrick. 

Andrew Holzaepfel, senior associate director for student activities, is excited to bring Moore to OU.

“Justin is really well-known in the country world because he has so many number one hits, top ten singles and platinum albums,” Holzaepfel said. “He is definitely, without exaggerating the title, a country superstar.” 

There is not a set number of country artists the Performing Arts and Concert Series like to bring in, but typically, about two a semester are booked. The first one in the 2019 Fall Semester was partnered with Stuart’s Opera House to bring Thompson Square, and now Moore will mark the second performance of the semester.

“We’re not a huge community as it is, so I don’t think you want to oversaturate the market,” Holzaepfel said.

Moore has a performance at the Hobart Arena in Troy, and is stopping in Athens for a routed performance. Moore’s agent in Nashville reached out to Holzaepfel and asked if he’d be interested in booking Moore on his way to Troy. 

Moore released his fifth studio album, Late Nights and Longnecks, in July 2019. Moore’s self-titled debut album hit No. 1 on the country music charts. In September 2009, “Small Town USA” became his first No. 1 single. 

His album Off the Beaten Path in 2013, became gold-certified, and Justin Moore and Outlaws Like Me are platinum-certified.

Aside from receiving gold and platinum recognition, Moore has also been nominated for the American Country Awards among other nominations, and he won an Academy of Country Music Award.

From his “Small Town USA” tour, which included several smaller towns as well as acoustic shows at various Walmart stores, to his performances at arenas and the Grand Ole Opry, Moore has seen it all with his venues. 

Holzaepfel thinks his performance in a theater rather than an arena will be an interesting change of pace.

“I’m excited because this is an artist that often plays in an arena environment or a large outdoor environment, so having him in Memorial Auditorium, which is what I would consider a more intimate space compared to those, I think is going to be a super fun evening,” Holzaepfel said.

Students are also excited to see Moore’s performance.

Amy Diiullo, a freshman studying nursing, thinks the concert will be a great opportunity for people to see.

“It’s something cool for students to do. It’s a good form of entertainment,” Diiullo said.

Gianna Bevack, an undecided freshman, loves listening to Moore’s music.

“His music is so good and relaxing. It always tells a story, so I’m excited,” Bevack said. 

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu