Ohio University football coach Frank Solich enters the field with the Ohio football team before the game versus Miami on Wednesday, November 6, 2019, at Peden Stadium. (FILE)

Football: Solich becomes winningest coach in MAC history

BOWLING GREEN – Frank Solich owns a piece of Mid-American Conference history.

The 15-year coach of the Bobcats passed former Central Michigan coach Herb Deromedi for most overall wins by a Mid-American Conference coach with 111.

Deromedi, who amassed a record of 110-55-10 in 16 seasons, spoke about Solich on Nov. 6 when he was a guest for the 150th anniversary of college football celebration.

“I’ve always been an admirer of him for a long time,“ Deromedi said. “I’ve followed him since he was at Nebraska and his teams are a reflection of him. They play tough, they play hard.”  

Solich’s record-breaking win came on a chilly Tuesday night at Bowling Green in a 66-24 final. He currently holds an overall record of 111-81 in his time with the Bobcats – just 10 wins behind Ohio legend Don Peden, who holds a 121-46-11 record.

His first win at Ohio was a memorable one. Under the lights for the first prime time game in Athens, the Bobcats hosted Pitt and defeated the then-Big East powerhouse 16-10 in overtime behind a walk-off interception for a touchdown by Dion Byrum.

In the years after, Solich has resurrected Ohio and placed it back on the map as one of the top tier Group of 5 programs. The Bobcats have won four bowl games in 10 postseason appearances and have been to four MAC Championship games under Solich

In his sixth season in 2011, he led Ohio to its first 10-win season in over 40 years and the program’s first bowl win after it defeated Utah State in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

Solich holds an overall career record of 169-100, counting six seasons at Nebraska.

His 74 MAC wins place him second behind Deromedi’s 90.

Solich holds a record above .500 against each team in the MAC East with his most impressive margin against rival Miami.

He and the Bobcats close out the season at Akron on Nov. 26.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu