Ohio's Devin King (No. 33), and DL Knock (No. 19), run off the field during the game against Western Michigan on Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019.

Football: Ohio loses to Western Michigan 37-34 in overtime to close out home games

Ohio’s final time in Peden Stadium for the 2019 season is one it probably will soon want to forget, but it won’t.

The Bobcats’ 37-34 overtime loss to Western Michigan all but sealed their hopes of making the Mid-American Conference Championship, and it gave them their sixth loss of the season – a mark they haven’t had since 2014.

Once again, it was a game of two different halves for the Bobcats. Marred by inconsistency all season long, the Bobcats in the first half were held to just 56 yards on 15 plays. Comparatively, they totaled over 350 yards and scored four touchdowns in the second half.

Senior quarterback Nathan Rourke in his final home game went 20-for-29, 225 yards and two touchdowns in the air. He also totaled 93 rushing yards on 13 carries.

The Bobcats defense held the Broncos’ vaunted rushing attack in check for 155 yards, but the two rushing touchdowns they let in were critical. A two-yard jet sweep that put the Broncos up 31-24, and LeVante Bellamy’s four-yard touchdown run in overtime were the Bobcats’ biggest errors defensively down the stretch.

Ohio (4-6, 3-3 MAC) can still end the season on a high note. It travels to MAC East Division opponents Bowling Green (3-6, 2-3 MAC) and Akron (0-10, 0-6 MAC) to close out the season and have a shot at earning an at-large bowl bid. 

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu