Ohio University forward, Gianni Evangelisti, handles the puck in the match against Iowa State University at Bird Arena on Friday, Oct. 25, 2019.

Hockey: Takeaways from the Chatham exhibition game

Ohio took a break from the American Collegiate Hockey Association and traveled to Chatham University in Pittsburgh for an exhibition game. 

The NCAA Division III opponent provided a tough test for the Bobcats. Ohio won 4-3 after trailing 3-1 after the second period. 

Here are three takeaways from the team's exhibition game on Tuesday.

Continued growth

The most significant aspect to look at after this exhibition game for the Bobcats is continued growth. Ohio has a tough schedule coming up in the next couple of weeks, and they wanted to use the game as a stepping stone to continue preparation for their difficult schedule. 

"We are not quite at championship level yet," coach Cole Bell said. "That's something we are growing towards every day."

Michigan-Dearborn comes into Bird Arena this weekend currently ranked second in the nation. The Bobcats weren’t pleased with their second-period performance when they allowed Chatham to score three goals on eight shots, and they want a more complete performance in the upcoming series. 

Overcoming Deficits

The Bobcats weren’t pleased with their second period performance, and they felt that most of their errors that led to a 3-1 deficit after the period were preventable. 

Even in a meaningless exhibition game, Ohio didn’t quit. Drew Magyar, Sam Turner and Timmy Thurnau scored unanswered goals in the third period to give the Bobcats a win that proved how quickly they can turn things around.

"Everything on the bench remained positive the entire time and very supportive," Bell said. "Everyone knew it was going to be a team effort. We needed all 21 to guys to chip in and contribute. That's a really healthy place for us to be right now."

It won’t be the last time the Bobcats fall under a deficit this season. Now, they know they have the talent to come back.

Control Emotions

The Bobcats have had trouble controlling their emotions at times and have had multiple 10-minute unsportsmanlike penalties throughout the season. 

Ohio didn't have any 10-minute penalties against Chatham, but the Bobcats still could’ve limited their time in the penalty box by keeping their emotions in check. Ohio had 12 penalty minutes and allowed five power plays, which Bell believes were avoidable.

"I think it was on us to control our emotions," Bell said. "I think we kind of got wrapped up early on in the game. A couple guys tried to do too much out there, and it ended up costing us." 

The Bobcats won’t help themselves with penalties against Michigan-Dearborn this weekend. Mistakes against the No. 2 team in the nation have to be kept to a minimum, and the Bobcats will look to stay out of the penalty box against the Wolverines.

@17_Andrew_

aa816819@ohio.edu