Ohio goalie Jimmy Thomas (30) makes a save during the shootout of the Bobcats game against Robert-Morris Illinois on Friday, October 11, 2019, at Bird Arena in Athens, Ohio. The Bobcats won 4-3 in a shootout. (FILE)

Hockey: Liberty scouting report and how to watch

Ohio faces another top-10 team when it travels to Liberty.

The Bobcats (7-1-2) are looking to get back on track after losing three straight American Collegiate Hockey Association games. The last two losses came in shootouts. 

Despite the close losses, Ohio is still confident that it can be one of the top teams in the nation.

“We were confident in our game,” coach Cole Bell said. “There were a lot of things we did well. Overall we understood we are capable of controlling the play against a good hockey team.”

Ohio has a chance to prove that again this week against the Eagles. Liberty (11-2-0) is ranked eighth in the nation. The teams only two losses have come to undefeated and top-ranked Adrian College. 

Game information:

Opponent: Liberty University 

Puck drop: Friday 11:59 p.m., Saturday 7 p.m.

Venue: LaHaye Ice Center

How to watch: https://www.espn.com/watch/search/liberty%20hockey

Meet the opponent

Top point scorers

No. 83 Josh Fricks (14 goals, 12 assists)

No. 19 Quinn Ryan (six goals, 18 assists)

No. 17 Arturas Laukaitis (five goals, 11 assists)

Goalie play 

No. 29 Tyler Myers (6-1, 1.71 goals-against average, .922 save percentage, two shutouts)

No. 88 Cedric Lesieur (5-1, 1.84 goals-against average, .921 save percentage)

Penalty minutes

No. 77 Chaydan Lauber (29)

No. 83 Josh Fricks (27)

No. 6 Jacob Fricks (24)

Last matchup

This is the eighth straight season that Ohio and Liberty will face off. Last season the two teams split the series. The Bobcats won the first game on Nov. 9th, 3-2. Liberty won the second game on Nov. 10th, 3-2, in overtime.

What to watch

Fewer Mistakes: One of the significant issues that cost the Bobcats in the Michigan-Dearborn series was their turnovers and mistakes. The Bobcats worked on limiting those errors in practice, and Bell believes there will be an improvement from the team. 

“The mistakes cost us,” Bell said. “Those are things we talked about this week and are improving. I am looking forward to seeing the improvement Friday night.”

Finding a way to score: For the third straight weekend, Ohio will be going against a high level of goaltending. Myers’ 1.71 GAA is currently No. 9 in the nation. Lesieur’s 1.84 GAA is presently No. 14 in the country, one spot ahead of Ohio’s Jimmy Thomas (1.95). 

The Bobcats found ways to score against Michigan-Dearborn by getting an overwhelming amount of shots on net. Ohio has not been outshot in a game yet this season. The Bobcats will need to look to continue getting a lot of shots on goal against Liberty, no matter which goalie they have in the crease.

@17_Andrew_

aa816819@ohio.edu