Ohio University forward Ben Vander Plas (No. 5) shoots a layup during the home game against Heidelberg University on Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019. 

Men's Basketball: Detroit Mercy scouting report and how to watch

For the first time since Nov. 9, Ohio will play a game in The Convo when it hosts Detroit Mercy on Nov. 30 to close out its first month of the season.

Saturday’s game marks the start of a six game home stretch that features games against Purdue and Morehead State.

The Bobcats are coming off a 1-2 performance in the Myrtle Beach Invitational where they lost to then-No. 24 Baylor and Utah. Their only victory came against Middle Tennessee State.

More information, however, on Ohio’s second home game of the year.

The game

Where: The Convo

When: Saturday, Nov. 30

Tip-off: 1 p.m.

Tuning in: Learfield IMG broadcast call 

The opposition

Detroit Mercy (1-4) are off to a rough start in the early goings of this year’s season. The Titans lone win came against UC Irvine in an 86-74 victory. They’ve played to Atlantic Coast Conference schools in losses to Clemson and North Carolina State.

The Titans are led by guard Antoine Davis. The sophomore is averaging 23.6 points, 3.6 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game on 34% from the field.

The next highest average scorer is forward Justin Miller with 8.2 points per game.

What to watch from Ohio

While in Myrtle Beach, the Bobcats’ biggest weaknesses were exposed: aggressive offense that leads to turnovers and a shallow bench.

The team had 45 turnovers in just three games, which led to 60 points for its opposition. Perhaps being back in the confines of its home arena against a weaker opponent can lead to more ball security.

If Ohio’s starters can put away the Titans early, expect the Bobcats bench to get more minutes despite being limited because of injury. Freshman guard Ben Roderick saw his first action for the Bobcats while they were in Myrtle Beach.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu