Ohio University forward Nate Springs (No. 2) drives toward the basket with pressure from Heidelberg University's Seth Hohman (No. 22) during the home game on Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019. 

Men's Basketball: Numbers to know after Ohio's 81-72 road win over Iona

Ohio defeated Iona 81-72 Wednesday night for its second road win and third consecutive win to open the season.

The Bobcats held a 36-31 lead at halftime and limited some of the mistakes and errors that were prevalent in the first half.

They held the defending Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Champions and NCAA Tournament appearance team in check with only a 42.1 field goal percentage, and the Gaels only made eight of their 25 3-pointers.

Here’s the numbers that mattered in win number three for Boals and Co.

0 – Not a stat, but a jersey number, and it belongs to Jason Preston. The sophomore has been the difference maker for the Bobcats in their first three games. The 6-foot, 4-inch point guard posted a double-double in Ohio’s win with 27 points and 14 rebounds. He also tacked on five assists and did so without a single minute of rest.

“He’s the head of the snake,“ Boals said on his ESPN+ postgame interview. 

19 – An impressive win nonetheless, even more impressive because Ohio turned the ball over 19 times. The Gaels scored 25 points off those 19 turnovers with a majority of them on simple possessions in the paint. 

52 – The Bobcats shot 52% from beyond the arc in Wednesday’s win going 13-for-25. Redshirt senior Jordan Dartis and freshman Lunden McDay each had three 3-pointers. More of Ohio’s big men shot from deep with Nate Springs and Sylvester Ogbonda each hitting one 3-pointer.

2:38 – Ohio spent 2:38 without the lead and then quickly erased the deficit. The Bobcats first lead of the night came with 13:51 left in the first half after Dartis hit his first 3-pointer.

4 – Ogbonda and freshman Nolan Foster both dipped into foul trouble with four each. With the Ohio bench already thin because of injury, it’s critical that no matter who is in the game for Ohio plays smart and in control in order to not draw calls its way.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu