Ohio's Tia Jimerson hits the ball during the match against Kent State in the Convo on Thursday, November 7, 2019. Ohio won the game 3-0. (FILE)

Volleyball: Three players named to All-MAC team, Jimerson wins Player of the Year

The Mid-American Conference announced its annual awards Wednesday, and Ohio was a representative in several prestigious categories.

Juniors Tia Jimerson, Vera Giacomazzi and Maggie Nedoma each earned honors as first team All-MAC representatives. Jimerson and Giacomazzi were All-MAC selections in 2018, also.

Jimerson, a middle blocker, was named MAC Defensive Player of the Year and Player of the Year, while Giacomazzi was Setter of the Year for the second time in her career.

Jimerson led the MAC in both hitting percentage and blocks per set. She had a .377 hitting percentage and 253 kills as well as 1.34 blocks per set on her 103 total blocks. Jimerson is 41st in the country in hitting percentage and 26th in blocks per set. 

She’s also the first non-libero to win Defensive Player of the Year since the award started in 2006.

Giacomazzi led the MAC with 1,259 total assists and 11.45 assists per set. Her numbers were also impressive on the national level, too, as she finished the regular season third in the nation for total assists and 12th in assists per set. 

She won Setter of the Year for the second time this season. Giacomazzi also won it during her freshman year at Ohio.

Nedoma made an instant impact in her first year at Ohio, also claiming All-MAC honors. Nedoma had 361 kills and ranked fifth in the conference with 3.31 kills per set. She was also eighth in the MAC with .28 service aces per set to go along with her 31 aces.

Ohio will be the fifth seed in the MAC Tournament and play its first match Thursday against Kent State at 4:30 p.m.

@scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu