Ohio University guard Maddie Bazelak (No. 22) looks for a pass with pressure from The University of the Incarnate Word guard Kara Speer (No. 5) in The Convo on Nov. 23, 2019.

Women's Basketball: Bench players step up in rout of Incarnate Word

Ohio entered Saturday’s game against Incarnate Word with 37 bench points on the season. It left with 60 after a season-high 23 from five different players.

The Bobcats received scoring from 10 players in Saturday’s 78-41 blowout win over Incarnate Word.

Ohio was able to rotate in bench players as early as the first quarter. Coach Bob Boldon was looking to those players to earn their minutes.

“That was part of the goal coming in today,” Boldon said. “We knew we were going to play more people. You’re just constantly evaluating your team and who should be playing more and who should be playing less.”

One of those players who most likely earned more playing time was redshirt freshman Abby Garnett, who came into Saturday’s game with just three minutes of game experience.

“The confidence from my team has just really helped me improve my game,” Garnett said. “Since I’ve gotten to Ohio, it’s been an awesome experience just to learn from the starters, and Deesh (Beck) ahead of me, we came in together.”

Garnett played 17 minutes and scored seven points on 3-for-5 shooting. She also recorded two rebounds and one assist, block and steal each.

“That’s what we’re hoping to get out of her as a versatile player that can do a number of things for her size,” Boldon said.

Joining Garnett in the push off the bench was redshirt sophomore Caitlyn Kroll, who has been the first player to come off the bench all season. Kroll finished with nine points and seven rebounds.

It looks as if Kroll will be receiving some help off the bench from Garnett as the Bobcats go back on the road with just one home game in the rest of 2019. Ohio will be looking for a consistent set of games from its duo as it tries to continue to compete in its challenging nonconference schedule.

@scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu