Ohio's Erica Johnson (No.4) dribbles the ball down the court at the game against the Incarnate Word Cardinals. Bobcats won 78-41 in The Convo on Saturday, Nov. 23, 2019.

Women's Basketball: Fast reactions from Ohio's 78-41 win over Incarnate Word

The Bobcats returned to The Convo with a comfortable 78-41 win over Incarnate Word on Saturday afternoon.

Here are some key takeaways from the game:

Defense

The Bobcats stifled the Cardinals’ offense with 19 steals, 10 of which came in the first half. Ohio didn’t allow the Cardinals to score more than nine points in the first three quarters. 

The Bobcats created 27 turnovers, while only having 14 of their own. Ohio’s high-pressure defense forced Incarnate Word into situations it was unable to handle, which created bad passes and unforced errors.

Ohio was clearly the more physical team from the beginning. They out-rebounded Incarnate Word by eight overall and had 14 defensive rebounds in the first half.

Bench Production

Five of Ohio’s bench players scored for the Bobcats. Caitlyn Kroll led all bench players with nine points, followed by Abby Garnett with seven. This was the first game in Garnett’s career that she scored. Garnett’s highlight play happened late in the third quarter after she drew a foul on a completed layup and made the free throw. 

The Bobcats rotated their bench players in early, with Peyton Guice and Garnett entering the game in the first quarter.

This was the first game that Ohio received this amount of production off the bench with a season-high 23 points.

@scott_cthomas11

St610417@ohio.edu