Ohio’s Logan Stanley wrestles Campbells’ Austin Murphy during a match on Nov. 10, 2019, in The Convo.

Wrestling: Ohio falls to Campbell in its first dual meet of the season

Ohio looked to continue its success after it had a solid weekend at the Michigan State Open Tournament on Nov. 2, when it welcomed No. 21 Campbell in its first dual meet of the season.

The Bobcats hung in with Campbell the entire meet but ultimately fell 24-16. The Camels led the entire match, but the Bobcats had opportunities to change the outcome. 

“I thought we fought hard,” coach Joel Greenlee said. “For us, its just continuing to build on what we have right now.” 

Sophomore Logan Stanley (174 pounds) had the match of the day for the Bobcats when he pinned Charlie Andrews in the second period. The win helped Ohio get within three points with four bouts remaining.

“(Stanley) is unbelievably good with (the move),” Greenlee said. “I have seen him hit it in practice. If he gets it, you are doomed. You are getting pinned.” 

In another dominating bout for the Bobcats, Alec Hagan defeated Zach Barnes in the 149-pound weight class, 16-3. Hagan started the match with energy, setting the tone for the rest of the bout. 

“He’s come a long way in a year,” Greenlee said. “The plan is to get a takedown in the first period and make him pay. And that is what he did.” 

Junior Aaron Naples (197 lbs) also had a fantastic bout when he defeated Austin McNeil 7-0 in three periods. Naples victory cut the Bobcats deficit to four heading into the final heavyweight fight. 

Redshirt freshman Jordan Earnest was unable to get anything going and fell to Jere Heino, ending the Bobcats’ hopes of winning the dual. 

Ohio will travel to Edinboro on Nov. 16 where it will also face off against Long Island. The match against Edinboro will be the Bobcats’ first Mid-American Conference match of the season. The matches start at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m., respectively. 

@WillShep13

ws905818@ohio.edu