Ohio junior Zach Carson wrestles Justin Ruffin of SIUE during a dual meet on Feb. 9, 2019, in The Convo. (FILE) 

Wrestling: Ohio sees strong performances at Michigan State on Saturday

Ohio began its season with a long day at the Michigan State Open Tournament.  

The tournament began at Jenison Field House at 9:30 a.m. Saturday and lasted past 9 p.m. It was coach Joel Greenlee’s first chance to see his wrestlers perform against opponents from other schools this season. 

Redshirt senior Zac Carson and redshirt junior Mario Guillen, both of whom were national qualifiers last year, picked up where they left off and performed well in the Open. Carson finished sixth in his respective weight group, and Guillen placed fifth in his group after an opponent forfeited due to medical reasons.  

After losing two other national qualifiers from Ohio last year, Cam Kelly and Zack Parker, the pressure is on Carson and Guillen to build off their former teammates’ results from the 2018 NCAA Tournament. 

Ohio saw even more success in the freshman/sophomore tournament. Four wrestlers for the Bobcats finished in the top three of their respective tournaments, including freshman Carson Brewer, who finished first in his weight group.  

More positive performances from the freshman/sophomore group came from freshman Shawn Mondello and redshirt freshman Jordan Earnest, who both finished second, and sophomore Logan Stanley, who came in third place.  

After a long day in East Lansing, Ohio’s next event will be Nov. 10 when it hosts Campbell University at 4 p.m. in The Convo.  

@elifeaz  

ef195418@ohio.edu