Jeff Boals, the new Head Coach of the Ohio Bobcats men's basketball team, calls out during the first game of the season agaisnt Capital University in the Convocation Center on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019.

Men's Basketball: Jeff Boals coaching era begins on the road at St. Bonaventure

The Bobcats got a taste of the talent on their roster during their exhibition win over Capital on Saturday.

Now, the games matter and Ohio will make its first official appearance with a roster and staff that look much different from a season ago.

Here’s everything you need to know for the Bobcats’ season opener:

St. Bonaventure report:

Last season the Bonnies were just one win away from punching a ticket to the big dance, but a 55-53 loss to Saint Louis in the Atlantic 10 Championship game ended their season.

They posted a final record of 18-16 and averaged 66.2 points, 12.3 assists and 34.8 rebounds per game.

St. Bonaventure returns three starters from last year’s squad in guards Kyle Lofton and Dominick Welch and center Amadi Ikpeze.

Lofton and Welch are both sophomores who spent plenty of minutes on the court for the Bonnies last season. Lofton averaged 14.4 points, 3.7 assists and 2.5 rebounds per game. Welch averaged 7.5 points, 1.4 assists and 4.4 rebounds per game.

Things to watch from Ohio:

Ohio showcased some solid things against Capital in its 73-49 exhibition victory Saturday in The Convo despite dealing with a wave of preseason injuries.

Forwards Jason Preston and Lunden McDay stood out as two of the many young players to watch for Ohio this season.

Preston, a sophomore, led all scorers with 17 points, and his ability to control the pace of play showed a needed maturation that Ohio wants as it attempts to develop eight freshmen.

In his first time playing in The Convo, McDay scored 12 points and forced several turnovers with his trapping ability. The true freshman is set to receive his first collegiate start Tuesday.

Top recruits Ben Roderick and Marvin Price sat out against Capital with injuries but are close to a return. Roderick participated in practice Monday but is unlikely to play against St. Bonaventure. Price was cleared for Tuesday’s game, but Boals doesn’t expect the freshman to receive much action Tuesday.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu