American Music Therapy Association Students’ OU Chapter digs deeper into music therapy major

Ohio University’s chapter of American Music Therapy Association Students is an organization that music therapy majors use as a tool to make connections and learn more in-depth details about their careers.

Although AMTAS is a national organization that has been around since 1971, Ohio University’s chapter has only been around for about a decade. The actual study of therapy through music was founded in 1950, and has since been used for a variety of purposes.

Music therapy is an evidence-based practice of accomplishing non-musical goals through music, performed by a credentialed professional. 

Music therapists can work with a variety of ages, ranging from infants in the NICU to end-of-life care facilities. In a school setting, music therapists work with students toward academic goals. While working in a hospice facility, music therapists practice bereavement and reminiscence with family members.

Sadie Cossman, a senior studying music therapy, is the president of AMTAS. She said the organization helps with professional development skills and is supplemental to the information taught in music therapy classes.

Every student in AMTAS currently is a music therapy major. As music therapy majors, they have learned how to sing as well as play guitar and piano.

Cossman said that members of AMTAS have the opportunity to communicate with music therapists already in the field who attend their meetings and talk about their personal experiences during their careers.

Cossman has been a musician for 13 years, and her main instrument is the flute. She said her experience as a musician has made music a deep-rooted part of her life.

“Being a musician for 13 years has made music a pretty inseparable part of my personality,” Cossman said.

Cossman said she made a lot of good friends in her major through AMTAS since her freshman year from seeing each other outside of class. The group meets every other week, and the off-weeks consist of executive board meetings.

Cossman said that studying music therapy has opened her mind about the variety of music’s purposes.

“Having music therapy as my major has impacted me in that I’ve seen a deeper use for music other than working out and just general enjoyment,” Cossman said.

Molly Brown, a senior studying music therapy, is the vice president of AMTAS, and she said the group has impacted her perception of the occupation of music and it has offered her an in-depth look at the administration of music. She said that administration is important in any field, but it is not often taught.

“At this school, we are taught to develop our skills as a musician, and we are taught to develop our skills as a therapist, but this group has taught me to utilize my skills as an administrator,” Brown said.

Brown said that AMTAS caught her attention as she was looking for her programs freshman year because the program is framed and advertised as a family. She said the group supports each other in their endeavors.

“I know that I have a large group of people who are committed to see me exceed,” Brown said.

From her experience with AMTAS, Brown said that she is able to impose the values she’s experienced in the group, including professional and personal care, upon younger people in the music therapy program.

“AMTAS covers a lot of extra things they don’t cover in classes that help us get to where we want to be in our career,” Leah Strand, a sophomore studying music therapy, said.

Strand said AMTAS has given her an opportunity to get to know the upperclassmen in the music therapy school.

“It is important to have career-related connections in music therapy because getting different points of view from people in the career is helpful,” Strand said. “AMTAS is a good community and a good tool to have.”

@hannahnoelburk

hb239417@ohio.edu