Travis Scott’s ‘JACKBOYS’ showcases the talent on his record label, Cactus Jack Records. (Photo provided via @DonToliver on Twitter)

Album Review: Travis Scott showcases talent with his ‘JACKBOYS’ compilation project

Ending 2019 with a bang, Travis Scott has released the first part of a new project featuring up-and-coming artists from his own record label, Cactus Jack Records. 

Travis Scott is a 27-year-old rapper who’s notorious for leaving his fans guessing what he’ll do next. For instance, he created an entire music festival himself that was named after an amusement park he went to as a child. AstroWorld closed down in 2005, and Scott honored the amusement park by titling his 2018 album, ASTROWORLD, and music festival after it.

Scott has been signed to a few record labels, including Epic Records and Kanye West’s G.O.O.D. Music, but JACKBOYS is his first project dropped via Cactus Jack.

Travis first gained a large amount of mainstream attention with his second mixtape, Days Before Rodeo, followed by his debut solo album, Rodeo, which includes his hit single, “Antidote.” He then locked in fans with his sophomore album, Birds in The Trap Sing McKnight. 

JACKBOYS kicks off with a remix of Scott’s “Highest in the Room” featuring Lil Baby and ROSALÍA.

The project consists of features from Cactus Jack artists, such as Don Toliver, Chase B and Sheck Wes as well as some prominent artists including Young Thug, Pop Smoke and Offset.

Some fans may be let down by the release’s somewhat short length. It’s nothing to sweat about, however, because the project will have two more seven-song packs released in 2020. 

“GANG GANG (feat. Sheck Wes)” is a highly collaborative song that is sure to hype up any listeners. Though not outrightly credited, Don Toliver has the perfect voice for the chorus of this song, and Luxury Tax’s verse toward the end of the song is particularly impressive while also drawing more attention to him as an artist.

Of course, the catchiest song on the project is the one with Young Thug. “OUT WEST (feat. Young Thug)” is hard not to dance to because of its upbeat vibe and repetitive lyrics. Also, Scott jumps in at the end to top the track off with his perfectly autotuned lyrics. 

On “OUT WEST,” Young Thug opens up about the progress he has made wealth-wise, rapping: “I used to jump off the back of the bus (Yeah) / Now I jump off of a jet (Yeah).”

“WHAT TO DO? (feat. Don Toliver)” has artistic instrumentals along with impressive vocals from Don Toliver and some added lyricism from Scott. The most unexpected yet perfect part of the whole project pack is the violin outro of the track.

Although the album only consists of seven tracks, the launch of the JACKBOYS compilation project showcases the talents of Cactus Jack’s artists and other hip-hop big shots as well. Overall, the combination of the two is leading to high expectations for the next two pieces of the project.

@hannahnoelburk

hb239417@ohio.edu