Women's Basketball: Fast reactions from Ohio's 70-64 win over IUPUI

Ohio came away with a 70-64 victory in its final home game of 2019 over IUPUI to improve its record to 6-2. 

Here are the biggest takeaways from the game:

Cece Hooks’ triple-double watch

Ohio had a realistic chance to get its second triple-double in program history and the second of the season. At halftime, Cece Hooks had 15 points, five rebounds and five assists. 

With Erica Johnson leaving the game early due to injury, Hooks found herself as the main focus of the offense, making it more likely that she reaches the milestone.

She didn’t achieve the triple-double, ending with 25 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists, but her work in the second half help carried Ohio to victory after Johnson went down.

Early struggles in the paint

The Bobcats couldn’t score in the paint to open the game against the Jaguars. In the first quarter, Ohio only went 3-for-11 down low. Fortunately for the Bobcats, they started off hot from behind the arc, shooting 4-for-8 from deep.

The early struggles in the paint helped keep IUPUI in the game, as Ohio only led 18-17 at the end of the first quarter.

As the game went along, the Bobcats began to shoot better from inside and that increased effort helped them pull away from the Jaguars.

Erica Johnson’s injury

In the middle of the second quarter, Johnson was visibly limping on the court. She was taken off the court and checked on by the trainers on the bench for the rest of the half.

When the Bobcats came back to the court for the second half, Johnson did not come out with them. She returned the bench early in the third quarter walking on crutches, signaling that her day was over.

The severity of her injury is currently unknown, but if it ends up being serious, the Bobcats lose one of their top ball-handlers and shot creators in Johnson. Ohio’s rotation becomes even thinner, as depth has been an issue all season.

@TylerHJohnson7

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports