Roddy Ricch’s ‘Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial’ provides a promising future for the rapper. (Photo provided via @XXL on Twitter)

Album Review: Roddy Ricch shows a promising future in hip-hop with ‘Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial’

It’s acceptable to say that 2019 has been Roddy Ricch’s year, and the Atlantic Records-signed rapper ended his year with a bang, with the release of his album Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial.

Although he is a rookie to the rap scene, Ricch has already proven he has a distinguishing flow and has attracted several fans who have recognized his potential.

Generally, when people think of Ricch, they most likely think of Mustard’s “Ballin’” or Nipsey Hussle’s “Racks In The Middle.” The rapper has such melodious flows that his voice blends seamlessly with the beats of songs.

The 21-year-old Compton, California, native has garnered three Grammy nominations as well as two platinum singles, despite being young in the rap world. He jumped into the mainstream hip-hop scene with his single “Die Young” in 2018. In June 2019, Ricch gained a spot on the 2019 XXL Freshman Class.

Ricch has a signature melodious sound that will switch from a calm, cool sound to a more agitated sound. 

One of the first tracks on Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial, “The Box,” begins with a swift beat and Ricch making an “ee-oo” noise, which then blends into the beat. Ricch’s lyrics are, as always, melodic and flow perfectly with the track. Within the track, Ricch references Atlanta Hawks player Vince Carter’s dunks in the 2008 NBA Slam Dunk Contest.

“I done put my whole arm in the rim, Vince Carter (yeah) / And I know probably get a key for the quarter,” Ricch raps.

Another song that stands out in the album is “Peta (feat. Meek Mill),” with Meek launching off the song with a hard chorus. Meek and Roddy did not come to play with this one. The song is one of the most hardcore, upbeat hits on the album, and Meek is slick with the rhymes he spits on the track.

“Eenie, meenie, miney, moe, see a bad b-----, I could peek-a-boo / Rolls Royce to the chopper, chopper to the jet, Cali’, a week or two,” Mill raps. 

Ricch brought his absolute best with “Boom Boom Room,” from the slow-paced beat, to the slower flow Ricch adds to it. The track shows Ricch’s potential with changing his range between pitches so smoothly. The man is out here mixing his rapping with singing, and it’s brilliant. It’s noticeable that Roddy put his soul into these lyrics.

“Been workin' on my confidence / And respect, I get a lot of it / I don't ever mean to contradict / If it's up, then it's up with us,” Ricch raps. 

If anyone has doubted Ricch’s ability to create a strong album full of hits, they’ve been corrected. Ricch gives it his all and proves himself with the release, and he could be a huge hip-hop artist going into the next decade. Excuse Me For Being Antisocial is arguably one of the most important releases of 2019 because it proves an up-and-coming artist’s potential.

@hannahnoelburk

hb239417@ohio.edu