Members of the Student Senate listen to theater students at Ohio University speak out against the poor conditions of Kantner Hall at the Student Senate meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2019. (FILE)

Student Senate: Provost presents plans for empowering university students

Executive Vice President and Provost Chaden Djalali spoke to Student Senate Wednesday about how the university will continue its efforts to empower students.

Djalali announced that the university has been working on an objective called Guaranteed Pathways. The pathways are meant to make Ohio University more transparent and guarantee that the university will do everything it can to make sure students graduate in four years.

Part of that transparency includes being transparent about the cost of tuition, Djalali said. OU is the second most expensive university in the state, but fees are included in the price.

“We’re in this business for the students,” Djalali said.

Djalali continued by saying the university is working to make more human resources available to students, as well as empower students to try learning in new areas and ways, like getting a certificate.

Djalali also said the university is trying to become more sensitive to students’ struggles and are currently talking about getting mental health resources put into the syllabi.

The meeting continued with an update from the General Education Reform committee about slight adjustments to the proposed model.  

Katie Hartman, associate professor of marketing, and Beth Quitslund, an English professor, went over the changes and said the changes offer a similar yet more focused approach than the previous model.  

The model will have its first reading at Faculty Senate on Monday. Then, the body will vote on the new model at its next meeting.

Student Senate also passed a bill in support of overhauling general education at Ohio University, as well as a bill in support of the Athens Fire Department. 

The meeting concluded with the appointment of a commissioner to the regional affairs commission and the appointment of a senator to the off-campus affairs commission. The body also appointed an associate justice to the judicial panel.  

@Gray13Regan

rg879318@ohio.edu