Prose and Cons: Drake is the most influential artist of the 2010s

Throughout the 2010s, we saw many amazing artists such as Taylor Swift, One Direction, Post Malone and many more who helped shape the music industry forever. There is one name, however, that shouldn’t be left out: Drake.

With his impact on hip-hop/pop culture and music alike, it’s becoming increasingly harder to argue against Drake as the greatest and most influential artist of the past decade. He consistently dominated the 2010s, and it didn’t matter what or how much music he was releasing. 

In October 2018, Drake broke The Beatles’ record for most top 10 songs in a year. Along with that milestone, Drake has broken many other records throughout the decade. 

Drake’s impact on music, specifically in hip-hop, has been unmatched. Since the release of his album Take Care in 2011, Drake has been consistently topping the charts and provided classic albums throughout the decade. 

Drake’s most recent album, Scorpion, was his eighth consecutive No. 1 album and has almost 4 million equivalent album sales since its release. Viral tracks like “God’s Plan” and “In My Feelings” didn’t only sell well — they created movements. “In My Feelings” was quickly turned into a challenge where people would dance while their car was still moving while listening to the hit song. This challenge took over the internet, making it one of the most memorable moments of 2018.

Drake’s influence goes far beyond creating viral challenges or videos of him giving money away; he influences his peers in the music industry. Tracks like “Hotline Bling,” “One Dance,” and many more have clearly been influences on many people’s tracks throughout the years.

Drake’s success and impact on music culture goes far beyond his influence of his peers and fans alike. Not only is he the most-streamed artist of the past decade, but he is also the most consistent when it comes to song and album releases. Back in 2018, Drake tied several other artists for the most consecutive No. 1 albums, and his release of Care Package in August 2019 made nine consecutive No. 1 albums that Drake has released.

No matter where you are or what mood you’re in, you are almost guaranteed to have a Drake song that fits the setting, whether it’s the moody  “Marvin’s Room” or his R&B love song “Hold On, We’re Going Home” or the countless others Drake has released over the past 10 years.

Drake has proven time and time again that he can release just about anything and it’ll outsell the competition. The release of Care Package debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts in 2019, despite being a project of previously released songs from his SoundCloud and other streaming platforms.

Drake has remained on top for most of this decade, and the next 10 years will be no different. With the massive fanbase and support that Drake has amassed, his influence will be felt for a long time.

Joey Perkins is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Joey? Tweet him @JoeyPerkins_.